Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another ID camp question

I have seen it suggested several times that players go to an ID camp at a school they're not interested in to get the experience before going to one that matters more, just for the experience. When would you suggest doing that? Summer before 9th? Or later?

Why not pick one you are interested in?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have seen it suggested several times that players go to an ID camp at a school they're not interested in to get the experience before going to one that matters more, just for the experience. When would you suggest doing that? Summer before 9th? Or later?

Comment

Lol... I don't know. This is all new to us. I had read that some suggested that you do a kind of practice run to learn how it works, get comfortable, etc at a place where it won't matter. But maybe that's not what people do?

Comment

Exactly why the op said - to get some experience under your belt before it really counts. It's also a good way to assess where you fit. Lots of players aim too high then are scrambling to adjust well into the process. If you perform poorly then you're not getting eliminated from a school you care about.

to the OP - if you can do one nearby for $150 it's money well spent. Just pick one that's a similar level to schools they're targeting. Unless your kid is a top player I'd wait until they're in HS, maybe spring of freshmen year or that summer before sophomore year. It used to be earlier but new rules are to move the timetable back a year.

Comment

It is a camp. They scrimmage. What kind of experience do you need?

Exactly why the op said - to get some experience under your belt before it really counts. It's also a good way to assess where you fit. Lots of players aim too high then are scrambling to adjust well into the process. If you perform poorly then you're not getting eliminated from a school you care about.

to the OP - if you can do one nearby for $150 it's money well spent. Just pick one that's a similar level to schools they're targeting. Unless your kid is a top player I'd wait until they're in HS, maybe spring of freshmen year or that summer before sophomore year. It used to be earlier but new rules are to move the timetable back a year.

Comment

It is a camp. They scrimmage. What kind of experience do you need?
            I agree with this. They know how to play soccer. Yes, there may be some first-day jitters about a new experience, but once they're on the field that will be forgotten. I don't believe a test-run is necessary. Also agree that for most players, the summer after sophomore year is a good time to get started. If your player is on an earlier path than that, she'll know it because she'll be getting that feedback from coaches.

Comment

Yes, I would totally do some test runs starting summer before sophomore year. While you're at it, I would also schedule an interview with the admissions staff at the school. Learn what kinds of questions get asked, gauge how the counselor responds to answers, and ask questions. Some kids get intimidated with college admissions interviews and they take some practice. I would test run those with schools that they are less interested in.

Comment

I agree with this. They know how to play soccer. Yes, there may be some first-day jitters about a new experience, but once they're on the field that will be forgotten. I don't believe a test-run is necessary. Also agree that for most players, the summer after sophomore year is a good time to get started. If your player is on an earlier path than that, she'll know it because she'll be getting that feedback from coaches.
                Good to get jitters out of the way at a school you're less interested in, assuming it's a reasonable cost. I also agree with above that it should be a similar level to your targeted schools. You will see quickly if you fit or if you're in way over your head and can adjust your targets. There are also plenty of one day multi school camps that provide feedback. I think the sooner you see if you're targeting well, or not, the better.

Comment

Yes, I would totally do some test runs starting summer before sophomore year. While you're at it, I would also schedule an interview with the admissions staff at the school. Learn what kinds of questions get asked, gauge how the counselor responds to answers, and ask questions. Some kids get intimidated with college admissions interviews and they take some practice. I would test run those with schools that they are less interested in.
                  This is intended to be a joke, right? please?

Comment

How to spend somebody else’s money

This is intended to be a joke, right? please?

Comment

Question: but would you really see if you were over your head? I have a boy, but I was deeply unimpressed by the level of soccer at school specific larger camps with multiple college coaches. For example Dartmouth's camp, with some *8th* grade boys, the soccer was pretty terrible, and yet Dartmouth itself has a high level of soccer. That camp wouldn't tell you if you were correctly targeting Dartmouth.

A bit better was the NESCAC camp my son attended this summer. (A one day, only that school camp). However while ok most of the players weren't great. Again that school plays a higher level of soccer.

I guess you can figure out if you are the best player at that camp, but that doesn't tell you if you are at that school's level. If you think about it, there might be 40 kids at a one day camp, and statistically only one or maybe two will end up being recruited.

Comment

Question: but would you really see if you were over your head? I have a boy, but I was deeply unimpressed by the level of soccer at school specific larger camps with multiple college coaches. For example Dartmouth's camp, with some *8th* grade boys, the soccer was pretty terrible, and yet Dartmouth itself has a high level of soccer. That camp wouldn't tell you if you were correctly targeting Dartmouth.

A bit better was the NESCAC camp my son attended this summer. (A one day, only that school camp). However while ok most of the players weren't great. Again that school plays a higher level of soccer.

I guess you can figure out if you are the best player at that camp, but that doesn't tell you if you are at that school's level. If you think about it, there might be 40 kids at a one day camp, and statistically only one or maybe two will end up being recruited.
                        The coaches' feedback will give the indication of fit for the school

Comment

Well that, and admissions officers won't interview sophomores. Usually limited to spring junior year and beyond - for those schools that interview.

Comment

Whatever. Shocking, I know, but all kids are not alike. Different kids need different approaches. Mine always underestimates his ability, and was convinced before his first camp that he would be the worst player there. He was pleasantly surprised to find he was one of the best. Going into other camps he was much more confident, and as we know, in soccer confidence is key.

Other strategies will work for other kids.

Comment

Feel free to do whatever you like. Your son should know where he stands by playing club. Those are the players he is competing against. As a prior poster stated, the college coach will provide feedback. I would not waste my time going to a college not of interest. Some colleges also want players to show interest by attending more than once. Good luck.

Whatever. Shocking, I know, but all kids are not alike. Different kids need different approaches. Mine always underestimates his ability, and was convinced before his first camp that he would be the worst player there. He was pleasantly surprised to find he was one of the best. Going into other camps he was much more confident, and as we know, in soccer confidence is key.

Other strategies will work for other kids.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X