X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But you're not the president....

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...tml?verified=1

an article so great and paywalled you had to post it twice?

Comment

What is Mr Gans overall point? Kids aren't having fun? High school soccer is important?
      The only thing to note is that youth soccer enrollment was down last year. However, in my limited viewing (compared to his), I think the quality of youth soccer has gotten so much better from the young ages to the older kids. I viewed some of the national U17 and U20 games and saw some excellent soccer from the US teams.....which, for you liberals out there included quite a diverse group!!!!

What is the goal of US soccer? Is it to make it more fun for the U11 and U12 or was it to make stronger national teams? Or both?

For the younger kids, there are coaching clinics available for the volunteer dads and moms. Perhaps there should be psych classes as well to drill it OUT of their heads that winning is important at this age....or even until U15...when the most kids are playing for their schools.

If Mr Gans point is that the area clubs should be offering coaching for free then he should come up with a plan to reimburse them for their time. If his point is that Kraft and owners of all the pro teams should be starting clinics all over so that the rich and poor would have equal access then he has to realize a very important thing. Unlike the European, Asian, South American, and African countries, soccer is not a top 4 sport in the US and the professional clubs are not making the same money to offer up free stuff. The US government is not interested in sponsoring the sports....so it falls on volunteers or clubs.

For the poor...well....soccer is not a top 4 sport. Most inner city kids are playing Basketball, Baseball, or Football. However, there is ample soccer in the inner cities and many are playing club ball. The Bolts have done a good job at reaching out and capturing them.

Mr Gans should be more specific as to what he wants....or will he only do so if he is paid?
      If the point is that the training of the stronger players should be more concentrated, then it is. The academy teams, an expanding league, has started this. The academy as already started capturing younger players with expansion of the leagues, with the hope that they will funnel into the larger academy clubs. I believe that this is similar to the systems in other countries. At some point, even as early as 15 (before HS), players are already ID'd as more worthy of training....even earlier. Perhaps his criticism is that the US is too inclusive up to an older age? I would think that liberals would be pleased with that!!!

Does the boys ECNL need to exist? Well....no. That is clearly a political and business move....but they get to play HS!!

High school soccer?? Will that make it more fun?? For those who are not as committed to soccer, I would say yes. It is great to play ball with friends. For those who are more talented and don't want to spend 2-3 months with mediocre coaches, playing with mediocre to good players, in mediocre leagues, then they should play academy. It isn't as though their friends are going to shun them for not playing HS.

I am sure that Mr Gans is quite bight but I see youth soccer as improving dramatically. However, I accept the fact that I have not talking to has many or traveled around the country to speak to other parents. I know far less about the European (or other countries) than he does. However, I have read two interviews with him and he offers up very little detail as to how he would change things. Perhaps his perspective is not as unbiased. Neither kid played D1 soccer. Neither kid will be a pro (or I assume that). Is it because they were 'unhappy' or is it because they were good enough?

My very limited opinion of youth soccer is that there is too much emphasis on winning and slotting kids into positions early on. I don't really care about whether or not kids play high school. Actually, the more that don't, the more positions there are for kids who want to play ....and have fun!!! e.g. more opportunity. Overall, soccer has improved dramatically over the last 10-12 years. As important, the professional games are better attended (at least the MLS) and maybe soccer will be seen with more significance across the country. Someday it might even be able to compete with NCAA basketball or football.

Perhaps we are heading in the right direction after-all.

I would like to hear more specifics from Mr Gans.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        What is Mr Gans overall point? Kids aren't having fun? High school soccer is important?
        The only thing to note is that youth soccer enrollment was down last year. However, in my limited viewing (compared to his), I think the quality of youth soccer has gotten so much better from the young ages to the older kids. I viewed some of the national U17 and U20 games and saw some excellent soccer from the US teams.....which, for you liberals out there included quite a diverse group!!!!

What is the goal of US soccer? Is it to make it more fun for the U11 and U12 or was it to make stronger national teams? Or both?

For the younger kids, there are coaching clinics available for the volunteer dads and moms. Perhaps there should be psych classes as well to drill it OUT of their heads that winning is important at this age....or even until U15...when the most kids are playing for their schools.

If Mr Gans point is that the area clubs should be offering coaching for free then he should come up with a plan to reimburse them for their time. If his point is that Kraft and owners of all the pro teams should be starting clinics all over so that the rich and poor would have equal access then he has to realize a very important thing. Unlike the European, Asian, South American, and African countries, soccer is not a top 4 sport in the US and the professional clubs are not making the same money to offer up free stuff. The US government is not interested in sponsoring the sports....so it falls on volunteers or clubs.

For the poor...well....soccer is not a top 4 sport. Most inner city kids are playing Basketball, Baseball, or Football. However, there is ample soccer in the inner cities and many are playing club ball. The Bolts have done a good job at reaching out and capturing them.

Mr Gans should be more specific as to what he wants....or will he only do so if he is paid?
        If the point is that the training of the stronger players should be more concentrated, then it is. The academy teams, an expanding league, has started this. The academy as already started capturing younger players with expansion of the leagues, with the hope that they will funnel into the larger academy clubs. I believe that this is similar to the systems in other countries. At some point, even as early as 15 (before HS), players are already ID'd as more worthy of training....even earlier. Perhaps his criticism is that the US is too inclusive up to an older age? I would think that liberals would be pleased with that!!!

Does the boys ECNL need to exist? Well....no. That is clearly a political and business move....but they get to play HS!!

High school soccer?? Will that make it more fun?? For those who are not as committed to soccer, I would say yes. It is great to play ball with friends. For those who are more talented and don't want to spend 2-3 months with mediocre coaches, playing with mediocre to good players, in mediocre leagues, then they should play academy. It isn't as though their friends are going to shun them for not playing HS.

I am sure that Mr Gans is quite bight but I see youth soccer as improving dramatically. However, I accept the fact that I have not talking to has many or traveled around the country to speak to other parents. I know far less about the European (or other countries) than he does. However, I have read two interviews with him and he offers up very little detail as to how he would change things. Perhaps his perspective is not as unbiased. Neither kid played D1 soccer. Neither kid will be a pro (or I assume that). Is it because they were 'unhappy' or is it because they were good enough?

My very limited opinion of youth soccer is that there is too much emphasis on winning and slotting kids into positions early on. I don't really care about whether or not kids play high school. Actually, the more that don't, the more positions there are for kids who want to play ....and have fun!!! e.g. more opportunity. Overall, soccer has improved dramatically over the last 10-12 years. As important, the professional games are better attended (at least the MLS) and maybe soccer will be seen with more significance across the country. Someday it might even be able to compete with NCAA basketball or football.

The “diverse” kids are the only ones that can play.
        It’ll be a different look in a few years when all the rich, white folk realize that all spots are filled with diversity, like college rosters.
        They will then institute a roster reserve number for the white kids

Comment

The “diverse” kids are the only ones that can play.
          It’ll be a different look in a few years when all the rich, white folk realize that all spots are filled with diversity, like college rosters.
          They will then institute a roster reserve number for the white kids
          Wouldn't that be ironic. Holding places for undeserving players due to their skin color........

Comment

Wouldn't that be ironic. Holding places for undeserving players due to their skin color........
            So.....everywhere else in the country, the 'people of color'.....actually specifically blacks, complain that they are under-represented and cry foul and the need for diversity regardless of skill or ability. In fact, we are about the scale SAT ACT and school grades based on socioeconomic status and color.....so that those who feel disenfranchised will be seen in a better light....so that selections can better represent population statistics...
            but......the same viewpoint doesn't hold in areas where 'people of color'....blacks.....have an upper hand.
            To be fair...the 10% of whites in the NBA doesn't represent the population at all. We can go on with more examples if we want.

One of many concluding statements here is.....take reparations and shove it up your arrrse.

Comment

Dude, this is longer than the article in the link. I don’t know who is more pointless, Gan or you.

I agree the boys/men’s U-17 and U-20 national teams are looking better. Girls side is actually going backwards. Pro soccer in US is in its infancy here and quality has improved, but we are still decades behind the quality of top European leagues. Maybe we’ll reach parity in another 20 years or so. As for who develops youth soccer, it will still be pay-to-play, which means the well off will still get the best development and playing opportunities. I don’t see that changing.

As for all the other racist posters, the fact is the white US population is decreasing every year and will not be the majority by 2050. That we don’t see the numbers of minority players increasing at the same pace tells you how bad income inequality and opportunities are in this country.

Comment

As for all the other racist posters, the fact is the white US population is decreasing every year and will not be the majority by 2050. That we don’t see the numbers of minority players increasing at the same pace tells you how bad income inequality and opportunities are in this country.
                Start a league that targets that population then.

Don't just sit on the sidelines pontificating. Do something.

Comment

Start a league that targets that population then.

Don't just sit on the sidelines pontificating. Do something.
                  There are leagues that cater to this population.

Comment

There are leagues that cater to this population.
                    Excellent. Great to hear, and I mean that. It's a game for everyone.

Not sure what that poster was whining about then.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X