Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent Behavior

I am simply asking for the correct etiquette. Please provide guidelines.

When soccer children are playing during game time, ages 9-10-11-12 (pre-teenager), what is proper etiquette for the observers of the game?

1. Clapping only?
    2. Clapping and verbally encouraging (Nice Job Johnny!!!)
    3. Saying/doing nothing at all...just watch...

Obviously, never reprimanding or yelling...

Just curious...I would like real answers, not nonsense please

Read: How to be a Gold Star Soccer Parent by Dan Bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

When soccer children are playing during game time, ages 9-10-11-12 (pre-teenager), what is proper etiquette for the observers of the game?

1. Clapping only?

shut the hell up. Go away.

Comment

I find that standing behind the opposing teams bench and telling them that their parents don't love them is quite effective at throwing them off their game.

Comment

If parents weren’t allowed at the younger ages, you would see better development

Comment

I find that standing behind the opposing teams bench and telling them that their parents don't love them is quite effective at throwing them off their game.
            This is gold.

Comment

Promise an ice cream to each player who commits at least one yellow card foul, double scoop for each goal.

Comment

shut the hell up. Go away.
                Couldn’t agree more.
                Sad sign of the times.
                What a pantload...

Comment

Parents are needy on many levels. Its not bad, it’s human nature.
                  Most of us desperately seek validation through our kids. We mask it as just wanting them to succeed, but at its core, its anxiety and we need to let it out. The desperation manifests itself on the sidelines in many ways. on the low end, it’s a plea for success (Come on!), then it climbs the ladder through bad coaching (Shoot!) up through the “Smart Fan” phase (hold your shape) culminating in verbal and physical aggression toward the entity (referee, other team parent) who we believe is stealing from us.

The truth however is that we are stealing from our kids. Stealing the opportunity to learn from a mistake, stealing the opportunity to allow them own something they did right, and stealing the opportunity to simply play unencumbered by the need to fulfill a parent’s aspiration.

Comment

If parents weren’t allowed at the younger ages, you would see better development
                    Which is fine, if soccer existed in a vacuum. Trouble is, most kids and parents are not trying to produce little soccer robots. A lot of u littles would be sad if mom and dad didn't watch them play. Ever see a 9 year old score? More often than not, first thing they do is look for mom with a big smile. Hate to discourage that.

Fact is, MOST parents aren't a holes. Most are just there to enjoy the game. You have one or two loud mouth jerks and the team gets branded as one with a bunch of psycho parents. I have only ever seen one team where it seemed virtually EVERY parent on the sidelines had a drinking or mental issue (perhaps both) and that was just this past year...a U12 girls game.

I'd like to see clapping and positive remarks only, enforced BY THE COACH. But I've seen a lot of parents who are loud enough for the kids and ref to hear but not coaches so not sure how that would work perfectly.

Comment

1. Clapping only?

This is ridiculously simple. It's u9-u12...shut the hell up and clap for either team. Even u13-u14...shut the hell up and clap for your kids team. At u15-u17...clap for your kids team and maybe yell support to an individual during a good play. u18 they are technically adults...yell if you want to be an *****.

Overall, 1% of 1% may play pro...the odds that it is your kid is very, very, very low. Chill the F out.

You can tell someone's true personality during youth soccer game.

Comment

Which is fine, if soccer existed in a vacuum. Trouble is, most kids and parents are not trying to produce little soccer robots. A lot of u littles would be sad if mom and dad didn't watch them play. Ever see a 9 year old score? More often than not, first thing they do is look for mom with a big smile. Hate to discourage that.

Fact is, MOST parents aren't a holes. Most are just there to enjoy the game. You have one or two loud mouth jerks and the team gets branded as one with a bunch of psycho parents. I have only ever seen one team where it seemed virtually EVERY parent on the sidelines had a drinking or mental issue (perhaps both) and that was just this past year...a U12 girls game.

I'd like to see clapping and positive remarks only, enforced BY THE COACH. But I've seen a lot of parents who are loud enough for the kids and ref to hear but not coaches so not sure how that would work perfectly.

U12 girls? Has to be Ginga.... lol

Comment

If we had any type of local sports that didn’t rely on kids, parents would have a place to vent their displeasure.
                          Lack of teams to support locally is not healthy for sex-starved fans

Comment

If we had any type of local sports that didn’t rely on kids, parents would have a place to vent their displeasure.
                            Lack of teams to support locally is not healthy for sex-starved fans
                            Isn't it a little early to be drinking?

Comment

Actually it was WUP but funny you say that as I saw a Ginga mom absolutely blast her U12 after a game this past weekend. I didn't see the game itself but this woman just tore into this poor girl for not "doing her part". I was hoping she was an anomaly. Guess not!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X