Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Girls ECNL at FC Bucks or FC Delco worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Girls ECNL at FC Bucks or FC Delco worth it?

Is ECNL at mediocre/low end club like FC Bucks or FC Delco worth the time and expense? Having a hard time justifying the expense and what you get in return.

PDA, South Jersey Barons (SJEB) Academy and Penn Fusion are all better options if you don't mind the drive, and if your kid can make the team. At this point, FC Bucks are a better option than FC Delco.

Comment

Not worth it

ECNL is just a brand created by marketers to convince parents to part with their hard earned money by dangling the idea of college scholarships. Maybe if your kid is a top player at a top club you could do the math and make an argument that the return on your “investment” is worth it. But if your kid is a middle of the road or even top player at a bottom tier club like Bucks or Delco, you are just throwing your money away. Yes these clubs will tout there college commitments, but dig a little deeper. Do the math. You will likely spend far more for ECNL then you will ever get back in possible scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        ECNL is just a brand created by marketers to convince parents to part with their hard earned money by dangling the idea of college scholarships. Maybe if your kid is a top player at a top club you could do the math and make an argument that the return on your “investment” is worth it. But if your kid is a middle of the road or even top player at a bottom tier club like Bucks or Delco, you are just throwing your money away. Yes these clubs will tout there college commitments, but dig a little deeper. Do the math. You will likely spend far more for ECNL then you will ever get back in possible scholarships.
        Could be worse, could be GDA run by a for-profit, would-be monopoly that has no clue what it is doing.

Comment

Could be worse, could be GDA run by a for-profit, would-be monopoly that has no clue what it is doing.
          So it's better to be run by a bunch of for-profit Directors of Coaching that favors their own clubs in scheduling, tournaments, fields, everything (which is what ECNL is)? Get a clue.

Comment

Like many on here, our kids play sports to keep them busy by doing something positive. I know for a fact where my daughter is most weekends of the year, and to me it is worth spending the money on travel sports! Good ECNL players, even on bad ECNL teams have a much better shot than playing USYS. If you are playing on a decent USYS team you end up spending more money playing in USYS events. More leagues, more tournaments more showcases, state cup and maybe regionals, more than ECNL and GDA and very few college coaches show up for these games. AAU, travel soccer, hockey, tennis and now travel lax have crazy costs, youth sports are a money maker. It could be said we are all throwing money away, but there are worse things that we could be doing with that money. ECNL is not a brand created by marketers, but people are cashing in on its success.

With the right people FC Bucks could get back on track again, but right now they don't have the right people running ECNL program and most of the coaches are not very good. I wouldn't go to Ukies or YMS if I were at FC Bucks. FC Delco girls have no chance in the girls ECNL and no future, the ship is sinking. It's really bad now, and only going to get worse.

Comment

Like many on here, our kids play sports to keep them busy by doing something positive. I know for a fact where my daughter is most weekends of the year, and to me it is worth spending the money on travel sports! Good ECNL players, even on bad ECNL teams have a much better shot than playing USYS. If you are playing on a decent USYS team you end up spending more money playing in USYS events. More leagues, more tournaments more showcases, state cup and maybe regionals, more than ECNL and GDA and very few college coaches show up for these games. AAU, travel soccer, hockey, tennis and now travel lax have crazy costs, youth sports are a money maker. It could be said we are all throwing money away, but there are worse things that we could be doing with that money. ECNL is not a brand created by marketers, but people are cashing in on its success.

With the right people FC Bucks could get back on track again, but right now they don't have the right people running ECNL program and most of the coaches are not very good. I wouldn't go to Ukies or YMS if I were at FC Bucks. FC Delco girls have no chance in the girls ECNL and no future, the ship is sinking. It's really bad now, and only going to get worse.
              Bucks and Delco's girls ECNL should combine. Then they will get traction. Alternate every other age group for the ECNL A team (Bucks 18/19 - ECNL A team; Delco 18/19 - ECNL B team; Bucks 17 - ECNL B team; Delco 17 ECNL A team; and so on). It would save both clubs and the better players would all be playing together on their specific teams.

Comment

So it's better to be run by a bunch of for-profit Directors of Coaching that favors their own clubs in scheduling, tournaments, fields, everything (which is what ECNL is)? Get a clue.
                It's a free market system ... yes, that is better. The clubs that are recognized as better developers can attract better players and charge more (see Penn Fusion, FC Bucks and Delco). In US Soccer's world, there is not competition. Do as we say and just pay your money. We create robots. In the free market system plenty of different typ[es of teams, levels, and styles thrive and as players blossom they have places to go that suit their styles (ideally anyway). I would take truly open, free-market of anything any day of the week. The competition between clubs is what drives the quality.

Comment

It's a free market system ... yes, that is better. The clubs that are recognized as better developers can attract better players and charge more (see Penn Fusion, FC Bucks and Delco). In US Soccer's world, there is not competition. Do as we say and just pay your money. We create robots. In the free market system plenty of different typ[es of teams, levels, and styles thrive and as players blossom they have places to go that suit their styles (ideally anyway). I would take truly open, free-market of anything any day of the week. The competition between clubs is what drives the quality.
                  Or, the best clubs left USYS (free market system) because the system was broken. USYS did not listen to the better clubs about how to make the USYS system better. There were major issues at the time with USYS leagues. Prior to ECNL and GDA, the better clubs were always winning the Region I Prem League and Regionals. Go back and look at the scores at USYS Regionals prior to ECNL pulling out completely of USYS. You will see current ECNL or GDA clubs beating teams at regionals 14-0, 18-0. Often those clubs would coast through state cup and regional games, and it was a total waste of time and money. In the Region I Prem League, teams were driving from the Philadelphia area to Rochester, NY or West Virginia only to arrive and have games not played because of forfeits or poor field conditions. This happened year after year with the only penalty being a $500.00 fine. It was also common in Region I Leagues not to have refs. Forfeits are still an issue in the Region I Leagues, and forfeits do not happen in ECNL or GDA. Field conditions aren’t an issue either because the ECNL and GDA have clubs with turf fields, and all the ECNL or GDA clubs have their own ref assignors. USYS were not willing to make the changes, and like in any free market, a better product (ECNL) came to be, and became a better situation for the better clubs. I don’t care to debate ECNL vs. GDA, but I can tell you with certainty that they are both far better than anything else offered in the USA.

Comment

Bucks and Delco's girls ECNL should combine. Then they will get traction. Alternate every other age group for the ECNL A team (Bucks 18/19 - ECNL A team; Delco 18/19 - ECNL B team; Bucks 17 - ECNL B team; Delco 17 ECNL A team; and so on). It would save both clubs and the better players would all be playing together on their specific teams.
                    FC Bucks don't have enough fields for a quality ECNL program, they struggle to support what they have now at BAC and CRN, and that isn't easy to make happen all the time. Also CRUSA would never allow another club to come into FC Bucks, they want total control, as they should since they have a massive rec and travel program. FC Bucks would be fine on their own if they had quality people running the club. The current leadership might be good guys, but they struggle at this level. CRUSA has a great feeder program and other local clubs in the area. FC Bucks could bounce back to where they were quickly if the right people were in charge. As for Delco, the boys are under the control of the Union DA so all is good on that side. They don't support the girls program and have no feeder system for the girls program. Makes sense for boys to give Delco a shot because they are under that watch of the Union DA, but that isn't the case for the girls, they are under the vision of nobody. Without having Westmont and Spirit they have no more young girls coming into the program. The top players from Westmont and Spirit go to Penn Fusion, and those that don't make the GDA are now happy staying at Westmont. Westmont is a better experience for players than Continental-Delco.

Comment

Or, the best clubs left USYS (free market system) because the system was broken. USYS did not listen to the better clubs about how to make the USYS system better. There were major issues at the time with USYS leagues. Prior to ECNL and GDA, the better clubs were always winning the Region I Prem League and Regionals. Go back and look at the scores at USYS Regionals prior to ECNL pulling out completely of USYS. You will see current ECNL or GDA clubs beating teams at regionals 14-0, 18-0. Often those clubs would coast through state cup and regional games, and it was a total waste of time and money. In the Region I Prem League, teams were driving from the Philadelphia area to Rochester, NY or West Virginia only to arrive and have games not played because of forfeits or poor field conditions. This happened year after year with the only penalty being a $500.00 fine. It was also common in Region I Leagues not to have refs. Forfeits are still an issue in the Region I Leagues, and forfeits do not happen in ECNL or GDA. Field conditions aren’t an issue either because the ECNL and GDA have clubs with turf fields, and all the ECNL or GDA clubs have their own ref assignors. USYS were not willing to make the changes, and like in any free market, a better product (ECNL) came to be, and became a better situation for the better clubs. I don’t care to debate ECNL vs. GDA, but I can tell you with certainty that they are both far better than anything else offered in the USA.
                      I agree. USYS should have straightened this out from the beginning. But, I want to disagree with you on one thing. Forfeits do happen in GDA. Teams from NY and VA were forced to forfeit last year. It may have been before the team traveled, but I know for a fact that my friend's kid had a game scheduled for one day and then it was cancelled the day and credited to them as a win. You can tell the forfeits because there is no game day information attached when you click on the standings and game specific information.
                      So USSF has allowed forfeits in the great GDA debacle.

Comment

I agree. USYS should have straightened this out from the beginning. But, I want to disagree with you on one thing. Forfeits do happen in GDA. Teams from NY and VA were forced to forfeit last year. It may have been before the team traveled, but I know for a fact that my friend's kid had a game scheduled for one day and then it was cancelled the day and credited to them as a win. You can tell the forfeits because there is no game day information attached when you click on the standings and game specific information.
                        So USSF has allowed forfeits in the great GDA debacle.
                        Big difference, Empire United and Boca United both got booted from the GDA because of it, and they won't be able to retire. GDA is new and isn't run very well. Forfeits don't happen in ECNL or your clubs gets the boot right away.

Comment

Omg these 2 complaining moms just won’t quit. Give it a rest ladies.

Comment

Omg these 2 complaining moms just won’t quit. Give it a rest ladies.
                            Who is complaining? Appears to be some people concerned about the future of two terrible girls clubs, FC Delco and FC Bucks.

Comment

Who is complaining? Appears to be some people concerned about the future of two terrible girls clubs, FC Delco and FC Bucks.
                              If these 2 clubs are terrible then I can't imagine how horrible you must think the Ukies club must be!! Salty u are

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X