Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrogant Coaches

Coaches please realize you are youth coaches. It is amazing to me the level of arrogance some of these people have when I interact with them. You have not cured cancer or invented the wheel.

Honestly you are a youth coach - no matter the level!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Coaches please realize you are youth coaches. It is amazing to me the level of arrogance some of these people have when I interact with them. You have not cured cancer or invented the wheel.

Do tell. What happened to you?

Comment

Do tell. What happened to you?
      OP complained his kid isn't getting playing time and got a smack down.

Comment

Piss off, you whiny tw&t.
        Your kid can’t play.

Comment

Last post notwithstanding, we are often blamed for the dismal failure of youth soccer in this area.
          We try our best, but many of you make the job a horror show, with completely unrealistic expectations.
          Leave us alone and we won’t seem as arrogant

Comment

Let me guess, you coach from the sidelines all game!

Comment

Last post notwithstanding, we are often blamed for the dismal failure of youth soccer in this area.
              We try our best, but many of you make the job a horror show, with completely unrealistic expectations.
              Leave us alone and we won’t seem as arrogant
              Put THAT on your pamphlet and let's see how many show up for try-outs. This is the arrogance that is being addressed. YOU, the coaches, are providing a service. WE are the consumers. If YOU don't want to hear from US, take your bag of balls elsewhere or make this a service provided for no payment. But, once you charge those type of fees, you are accountable to even the horror show parents. These are minors. The parents ARE in charge of the welfare of their child.

I'm not blind to the arrogance of parents too. However, when you accept the payment to develop, it is YOUR job to develop....ALL of them. And, when some max out or hit their ceiling, be kind and tell the parents to readjust their expectations. Don't sell additional training services because you see $$$. BE honest.

Comment

Put THAT on your pamphlet and let's see how many show up for try-outs. This is the arrogance that is being addressed. YOU, the coaches, are providing a service. WE are the consumers. If YOU don't want to hear from US, take your bag of balls elsewhere or make this a service provided for no payment. But, once you charge those type of fees, you are accountable to even the horror show parents. These are minors. The parents ARE in charge of the welfare of their child.

I'm not blind to the arrogance of parents too. However, when you accept the payment to develop, it is YOUR job to develop....ALL of them. And, when some max out or hit their ceiling, be kind and tell the parents to readjust their expectations. Don't sell additional training services because you see $$$. BE honest.
                All great that you want to take a stand but 1) if it's a decent club or they have the right badge there's always going to be families right behind you willing to take your kid's spot 2) sometimes families have no other options because of geography etc 3) if your kid is happy and developing then sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

If your kid isn't developing or isn't unhappy then of course leave. Just make sure you're leaving for the right reasons - often times the coach is right about your kid's ability or your kid's attitude. Parents just don't like to admit it.

Comment

Listen, the coaches/clubs set the prices, so there is a contract there. I think the thing that ruffles most feathers is larger rosters and paying attention to 3 kids on those big rosters. Those kids get extra training sessions, extra games, extra chances, allowed to make infinite numbers of mistakes with no repercussions (while some kids make a single mistake and get chastised or pulled or lose PT) ..... and 3/4 of the time, those kids still do not end up panning out. Had you put the same effort into all 22 kids from Day 1, the kids that end up passing the stars were held back to a large degree. Train them all the same for the same money and give them all the same opportunities. The ones that work hardest and pick stuff up the easiest are the ones that will probably do the best in the long run .... not just the fastest or biggest 10 year olds! Also sick of, if you have a problem have your kid talk to us after 24 hours. For the money we pay, your phone is on speed dial buddy. Do better! Be fair and be transparent. If my kid is not at some minimum level then do not take her onto your team. Anyone you take, you need to make better and you need to play them up until about U14. After that, before you take them, you should make it apparent that you are #16 on a roster of 20 and will probably play about 10 mins a half on average. The problem is, you need my money, so you continue to offer spots without the transparency. At some point, people will wise up I think, just a question of when (GDA seems to have had quite a bit of scrutiny quickly despite US Soccer backing).

Comment

All great that you want to take a stand but 1) if it's a decent club or they have the right badge there's always going to be families right behind you willing to take your kid's spot 2) sometimes families have no other options because of geography etc 3) if your kid is happy and developing then sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

If your kid isn't developing or isn't unhappy then of course leave. Just make sure you're leaving for the right reasons - often times the coach is right about your kid's ability or your kid's attitude. Parents just don't like to admit it.
                    My kid can go anywhere. She is that good. So this isn't about her or playing time or our experiences. But, I see where some kids are treated differently, irrespective of talent, most times because of the wallet. I don't support badgering a coach. I also don't support a coach that is unapproachable. It's all about the kids. If you are not in it for them, then you are in the wrong business. THEY are the product. Treat them kindly and remember they are kids. They don't process the same as adults. If you demoralize them, in particular in front of their peers, they may never get their confidence back. Presentation matters and be mindful that they may not excel under you, but you may give them something that they rely on later when they excel in something else or at another time.

Be kind to the kids. That's all.

Comment

Listen, the coaches/clubs set the prices, so there is a contract there. I think the thing that ruffles most feathers is larger rosters and paying attention to 3 kids on those big rosters. Those kids get extra training sessions, extra games, extra chances, allowed to make infinite numbers of mistakes with no repercussions (while some kids make a single mistake and get chastised or pulled or lose PT) ..... and 3/4 of the time, those kids still do not end up panning out. Had you put the same effort into all 22 kids from Day 1, the kids that end up passing the stars were held back to a large degree. Train them all the same for the same money and give them all the same opportunities. The ones that work hardest and pick stuff up the easiest are the ones that will probably do the best in the long run .... not just the fastest or biggest 10 year olds! Also sick of, if you have a problem have your kid talk to us after 24 hours. For the money we pay, your phone is on speed dial buddy. Do better! Be fair and be transparent. If my kid is not at some minimum level then do not take her onto your team. Anyone you take, you need to make better and you need to play them up until about U14. After that, before you take them, you should make it apparent that you are #16 on a roster of 20 and will probably play about 10 mins a half on average. The problem is, you need my money, so you continue to offer spots without the transparency. At some point, people will wise up I think, just a question of when (GDA seems to have had quite a bit of scrutiny quickly despite US Soccer backing).
                      This is the parent not mentally tough enough for competitive sports. You can’t buy talent or athleticism. The sooner you learn that, the better off you will be.

Comment

Momma Bear is in for a long, rocky road.

Comment

This is the parent not mentally tough enough for competitive sports. You can’t buy talent or athleticism. The sooner you learn that, the better off you will be.
                          One of the biggest issues in youth sports is parents not fully understanding who their kids are and what they need to succeed. They have an image of who they WANT their kids to be, but have a tough time accepting who they really are. It gets better as their kids get older and with younger siblings, but some parents never get it. Those parents in the college cheating scandal are a great example - they wanted their kids to be top students when in fact they were just good students who would have been better served a little lower on the academic ladder.

Comment

There are various levels. The coaches should develop everyone. That's all the parent is saying. Some kids are better; that's a fact. Some coaches are better too; also a fact.
                            Teach the kids; all of them. That's all the post is saying.

As they get older, the pyramid will take over. Let them rise to the top because they have been given all the tools, not because a coach just picked him/her and withheld all the tools from others. Success should be earned.

Comment

One of the biggest issues in youth sports is parents not fully understanding who their kids are and what they need to succeed. They have an image of who they WANT their kids to be, but have a tough time accepting who they really are. It gets better as their kids get older and with younger siblings, but some parents never get it. Those parents in the college cheating scandal are a great example - they wanted their kids to be top students when in fact they were just good students who would have been better served a little lower on the academic ladder.
                              Sure, and who paved the way for those that could not get in on their own hard work, coaches. It's not just the parents that need to accept, but the coaches need to not distort either. But, soccer is a business. If the coaches don't "sell" they don't get customers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X