Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do college offers happen?

My dd is a sophomore and has been communicating with OOS coaches that have watched her play on multiple occasions at showcases. She’s been asked to attend their camps later this spring or summer to see if she likes the campus. Should we expect an offer?

I suspect this is Troll post since anyone playing OOS Showcases should
    a) have a clue about recruiting rules and the explicit no offers at camp till Sept Junior year
    b) Play on a team with a few girls who may already be “committed” as 02 or 03 Sophs
    c) have a club coach offering guidance

Encouraging players to come to camp is legit request to qualify interest and see her on and off field

Comment

I hope it is not a troll...but also remember women's teams have more money to spend
      so they likely will offer a strong partial 'ship if they really are impressed with a soph.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I suspect this is Troll post since anyone playing OOS Showcases should
        a) have a clue about recruiting rules and the explicit no offers at camp till Sept Junior year
        b) Play on a team with a few girls who may already be “committed” as 02 or 03 Sophs
        c) have a club coach offering guidance

Encouraging players to come to camp is legit request to qualify interest and see her on and off field
        Op here. Club coach has spoke with these coaches and forwards emails. But hadn’t told us to expect an offer. That’s why I asked this question...should we expect one? This will be dd’s first time at an ID camp. Just want insight to manage our expectations. Plays on an 02 team and a few girls on her team are committed. From what I’ve read on these forums, we should expect her to be in a group of players invited by the head coach. Given the phone calls, just wondering if we should expect an offer, not at camp, shortly after communicated by her club coach. Not to mention, June 15 is not so far away.

Comment

Op here. Club coach has spoke with these coaches and forwards emails. But hadn’t told us to expect an offer. That’s why I asked this question...should we expect one? This will be dd’s first time at an ID camp. Just want insight to manage our expectations. Plays on an 02 team and a few girls on her team are committed. From what I’ve read on these forums, we should expect her to be in a group of players invited by the head coach. Given the phone calls, just wondering if we should expect an offer, not at camp, shortly after communicated by her club coach. Not to mention, June 15 is not so far away.
          You do realize the coach will have invited 50 kids to the showcase. Unless she is on the Stars ECNL team the chances that 02’s have committed is almost nil

Comment

As a sophomore her recruiting is going into peak interest this summer. Only stud-ish sophomores will be recruited at this point. Her birth year or that of her teammates doesn't matter - what matters is when she is graduating. Coaches can't officially give offers until beginning of junior year. Currently they can't even talk to her about an offer, not even when she's at an ID event on campus, but loopholes let that happen frequently via club coaches. There are rumors a few adjustments are being voted on in April for changes as early as June, but that's how it stands right now.

Comment

You do realize the coach will have invited 50 kids to the showcase. Unless she is on the Stars ECNL team the chances that 02’s have committed is almost nil
              Oh good lord....

Comment

Unfortunately no one can answer your question, because every situation is different. I am going through this process with my 03 / 2021 daughter right now. It's a very frustrating process and as parents / players there is very little feedback at all from coaches. Just keep sending emails and making phone calls. I believe it will work out how it is supposed to in the end. We are just trying to not put too much pressure on her, even as other players start to commit.

Comment

I have a 2020 and she’s an impact player. She attended a few ID clinics spring of her sophomore year. Every coach called her coach aftwards. She attended a few more in May/June of sophomore year and started narrowing things down to 3 top picks. Invited them to see her play in the spring and they all did. We then didn’t hear anything over the summer. It was frustrating as so many seemed so interested. September 1 of her Junior year a few emailed her directly because they could. She was then asked to visit her top two picks. We spent the day at the school, lunch, classes with some soccer players, met with the coaches. She got a great offer in November of her junior year from her first choice. Done.
                  So even though her road was smooth in the end, it didn’t feel that way at times. We were frustrated and left hanging at times wondering what was happening.
                  I recommend a plan A, a plan B and a plan C. Don’t burn bridges. Keep going and contacting your top 3-4 schools and pay as much attention to your #3 as your #1. And target appropriately. Top 3 should all be well within reach and a good fit.

Comment

^^^ good example. It is very stressful and frustrating at times, even when you seem to be targeting the exact right programs etc. Different programs move at different times and each situation is very unique. Definitely don't burn bridges, always keep touching base when it seems appropriate to do so etc. Don't panic right away when things seem to have gone radio silent.

Also people have to get off the old timeline. It's still happening for some players but for the most part it's all a year later, more like the boys. Coaches voted on these changes for a reason. They wanted it. This year and likely then next year at least will be a transition period

Comment

I have a 2020 and she’s an impact player. She attended a few ID clinics spring of her sophomore year. Every coach called her coach aftwards. She attended a few more in May/June of sophomore year and started narrowing things down to 3 top picks. Invited them to see her play in the spring and they all did. We then didn’t hear anything over the summer. It was frustrating as so many seemed so interested. September 1 of her Junior year a few emailed her directly because they could. She was then asked to visit her top two picks. We spent the day at the school, lunch, classes with some soccer players, met with the coaches. She got a great offer in November of her junior year from her first choice. Done.
                      So even though her road was smooth in the end, it didn’t feel that way at times. We were frustrated and left hanging at times wondering what was happening.
                      I recommend a plan A, a plan B and a plan C. Don’t burn bridges. Keep going and contacting your top 3-4 schools and pay as much attention to your #3 as your #1. And target appropriately. Top 3 should all be well within reach and a good fit.
                      Thank you for sharing. We are feeling exactly how you described. We just wish we knew if our daughter was on the radar of the coaches of the schools she is interested in. They have attended games, and sometimes multiple games. However, you don't know if they are watching your kid or someone else.

Comment

Thank you for sharing. We are feeling exactly how you described. We just wish we knew if our daughter was on the radar of the coaches of the schools she is interested in. They have attended games, and sometimes multiple games. However, you don't know if they are watching your kid or someone else.
                        Keep doing what she's doing. Keep lots of balls in the air and try not to get your heart set on any one thing. It usually comes together in the end, plus she's still on the younger side. Meanwhile pop some Rolaids.

Comment

Use your club coach to reach out to the college coaches to gauge if interest is genuine or not. Plus she has to perform this summer at their ID events. If you can stick her in one now for a school or schools she doesn't care about. It's good to get the first time jitters out of the way, see how the process works, see how she stacks up against similar players.

Comment

Unfortunately no one can answer your question, because every situation is different. I am going through this process with my 03 / 2021 daughter right now. It's a very frustrating process and as parents / players there is very little feedback at all from coaches. Just keep sending emails and making phone calls. I believe it will work out how it is supposed to in the end. We are just trying to not put too much pressure on her, even as other players start to commit.
                            Your club coach should be calling the college coaches and asking their level of interest. If that is not happening then you should find a new team/club where the coach is willing and able to do that for you. This is a basic expectation of a club coach at your stage of the game and anyone who says that it is unreason to expect that is just a lazy club coach or one that has no connections.

Comment

Your club coach should be doing WAAY more than they apparently are. I would be pissed if my club had left us hanging like yours apparently has. You can't abuse what you are asking your club coach to do for you but they SHOULD have the wherewithal to call college coaches that your child is interested in playing for and have a meaningful dialogue about what their reciprocal interest is. For what you are paying that should be a basic expectation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X