Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup Champions Engaged

"Ashlyn Harris and Ali Krieger, FIFA Women’s World Cup champions and club teammates, announced they are engaged.

Harris, 33, told People she and Krieger, 34, got close when they met in 2010 and played together on the U.S. Women's National Team."

This post is NOT about any opinions about gay marriage or any of that. This could be interesting if, say, there is a huge fight at home, does it translate to the field?

In college, there was an issue with our softball team. Seems the 3rd basemen beat up the shortstop for cheating on her with the left-fielder. It tore the team up.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    "Ashlyn Harris and Ali Krieger, FIFA Women’s World Cup champions and club teammates, announced they are engaged.

Harris, 33, told People she and Krieger, 34, got close when they met in 2010 and played together on the U.S. Women's National Team."

This post is NOT about any opinions about gay marriage or any of that. This could be interesting if, say, there is a huge fight at home, does it translate to the field?

In college, there was an issue with our softball team. Seems the 3rd basemen beat up the shortstop for cheating on her with the left-fielder. It tore the team up.
    Boys will be boys...

Comment

No judgement, but yeah it could be a problem. Everything’s great through the courting and honeymoon period but if there is any married couple that has never had a fight, there is a lying couple. It’s akin to the no fraternization policies in the work place. The risk is too high to disrupt operations. To be fair, at 33 and 34, both of them are near the end of their career so this might turn out ok without any issues, but the precedent is dangerous.

My D’s College team had a situation that divided the lockeroom. One freshman player was trying to hook up with another freshman and the other player simply wasn’t into that. It went on for the whole season until the one that wasn’t into it pushed back. An assistant coach (who was the same) interjected herself and took the side of the pursuer, which lead to a lot of team drama. It it wasn’t picking the better player as the pursuer hardly played and the pursuee started probably half the games as a freshman. The coach eventually left after the next season and the players came to a mutual understanding and are ok with each other now but it definitely caused a lot of issues and unnecessary drama during the following season. It’s a very slippery slope (no pun intended) when those issues arise on a team.

Comment

They've been together for years and are in their 30s, not 21 - in other words, they much more mature. Sure they could have a massive break up fight, but it seems they've found ways to make it work over time.

Comment

Does the men's team have similar challenges?

Comment

Does the men's team have similar challenges?
            Are any of them married to each other?

Comment

They've been together for years and are in their 30s, not 21 - in other words, they much more mature. Sure they could have a massive break up fight, but it seems they've found ways to make it work over time.
              Exactly. They’ve been together for a decade. Everybody knows about it.

This is only “news” to white, straight, soccer dads and the homophobes on TS who gaslight the thread with “this is post is NOT...”, which is a Vegas neon sign for THIS IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS.... total bonus for the fake softball story.

It was almost creative.

Now, dudbros....Reality check - women understand no means no.

Also, pro tip - nobody is gonna waste an entire semester chasing your precious Susie Strait. Stop clutching your pearls and go watch some MLS to self soothe. You’ll all be okay.

Comment

These two are solid and no drama.

It does bring up an interesting question though: is it ok for youth travel club players to date? What about coaches assigning girls to share a double bed in a hotel room when one or both is gay? My dd isn’t gay but half her team is. She and we don’t care but there has been some dating and some team dating drama but no major problems. However, let’s just say it’s awkward to be four girls to a room and have two in the bed next to you that are dating and the one in your bed gay and with a crush on you.... Awkward but let me be clear, the gay teammates have hooked up with each other but never forced anything with the straight girls.

Comment

This is only “news” to white, straight, soccer dads and the homophobes on TS who gaslight the thread with “this is post is NOT...”, which is a Vegas neon sign for THIS IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS.... total bonus for the fake softball story.

It was almost creative.

Also, pro tip - nobody is gonna waste an entire semester chasing your precious Susie Strait. Stop clutching your pearls and go watch some MLS to self soothe. You’ll all be okay.
                  So over the course of a decade you’re confident that they never had any issues that affected the team? That question has zero to do with their preferences so you can stop the virtue signaling.

Comment

So over the course of a decade you’re confident that they never had any issues that affected the team? That question has zero to do with their preferences so you can stop the virtue signaling.
                    Not the poster but if there were any issues it doesn't seem to have had a serious impact. People need to stop making a story when there isn't one.

Comment

These two are solid and no drama.

It does bring up an interesting question though: is it ok for youth travel club players to date? What about coaches assigning girls to share a double bed in a hotel room when one or both is gay? My dd isn’t gay but half her team is. She and we don’t care but there has been some dating and some team dating drama but no major problems. However, let’s just say it’s awkward to be four girls to a room and have two in the bed next to you that are dating and the one in your bed gay and with a crush on you.... Awkward but let me be clear, the gay teammates have hooked up with each other but never forced anything with the straight girls.
                      Sounds like the team has been fortunate that nothing major has happened. Not because some are gay but just because they're teens and emotions can run wild. Not sure a coach can do much - if he's even aware - other than keep close tabs on it. Tough for him to figure out bed assignments if he doesn't have a list but certainly players could privately say to him, hey I'd rather not room with xxxx

Comment

It was almost creative.

Wow, get triggered much?

News flash: Married couples fight. In no other sport, that I am aware of, there are married people playing on a team together. I've seen the dynamic happen, and it didn't end well (very small sample size).

I don't care about their orientation...I have family members who play on all teams. Only those looking for something to whine about will always find it.

Comment

Not the poster but if there were any issues it doesn't seem to have had a serious impact. People need to stop making a story when there isn't one.
                          Not saying there was, but all I've read on this board is how the women's team is failing, losing in Olympics, WC, friendly's etc. etc. etc. I've always thought they were BS whiny since sports can be quite unpredictable, but at the end of the day how does anyone know if something went on during those upsets or games where they played poorly? It's a fair question to ask but of course people like you will spin as homophobia.

Comment

I have coached women's college soccer for over 17 years. Players date, and many problems occur because of it. We had a few years where the drama was strong, and really hurt our season on so many levels. I think it hurt some of our results because there was so much tension, and there was little we could do about it. If players had relationship problems it filtered through the team. We also had women on the team that were against player relationships and saw it as problematic which caused a different set of problems. One of the bigger issues was around team travel. We pretty much knew what players were dating, so we created fixed room assignments when we traveled. We separated the players that we knew were dating, which seemed to upset them for a number of reasons and also made it tough on the other players when they were in the room of a player they knew was dating another player. Something as simple as travel caused so many problems, and we have about 7 or so weekends off campus.

I also coach club soccer, and have had players play college soccer for husband and wife coaching partnerships. The overwhelming opinion I hear from my players is that it is an uncomfortable environment. When there is tension between the husband and wife the team takes on the problem. The players take issue when one coach makes a demand and then the other coach dismisses or minimizes the message of the coach. You never see a husband and wife coaching a men's team, or at least I haven't seen it.

Comment

I'm sure Anson Dorrance was all into asking AH when she was at UNC..

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X