Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bribery in ECNL/GDA/CLUB soccer?

-Wealthy parents willing to go to extreme measures for their daughters.
    -Coaches who don’t make tons of money but have major recruiting influence on playing time, exposure and communication/recommendation to college coaches.
    -Am I the only one that now thinks there is probably lots of this (legal and illegal) going on in ECNL and other elite leagues and even not so elite leagues on a lesser scale?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    -Coaches who don’t make tons of money but have major recruiting influence on playing time, exposure and communication/recommendation to college coaches.
    -Am I the only one that now thinks there is probably lots of this (legal and illegal) going on in ECNL and other elite leagues and even not so elite leagues on a lesser scale?
    Yes. I think you are the only one. they go to extreme measures for college admittance.

Who would pay a bribe for fancy youth soccer? More or less any kid that wants to can at this point - no bribe required. It does not confer that much status.

Comment

Yes. I think you are the only one. they go to extreme measures for college admittance.

Who would pay a bribe for fancy youth soccer? More or less any kid that wants to can at this point - no bribe required. It does not confer that much status.
      How about the parents who have their kids on ECNL teams but have no plans to chase a soccer scholarship opting instead for an elite academic college. Isn't that pretty much what they were doing in the bribery scandal? At these folks put actually put their kids on the teams instead of just air brushing their faces into team photos and faking their athletic profile.

Comment

It would certainly explain why a couple weak wealthy girls on my DD’s ecnl team continue to get starts and more minutes than their subs who aren’t as wealthy. My dd is a starter and was complaining that they just lost a game because these two weaker players start and play the majority of the game. I’m not sure if it’s bribery but the weaker girls parents are buddies with the coach and take private lessons with the coach that the stronger, poorer players can’t afford. That type of “bought” favoritism happens all the time everywhere.

Comment

How about the parents who have their kids on ECNL teams but have no plans to chase a soccer scholarship opting instead for an elite academic college. Isn't that pretty much what they were doing in the bribery scandal? At these folks put actually put their kids on the teams instead of just air brushing their faces into team photos and faking their athletic profile.
          Elite academic colleges seek out some brainy athletes for their teams. Is what it is. That is the american system and nothing any of those kids can do about it plus they get to enjoy college soccer at an high quality institution of higher learning.

Comment

“Put” their kids on ECNL teams??? I have one kid that is on an ECNL team, and and older one you could barely make an NEP Premiership team. Who knew I could have just “put” that older one on an ECNL team. Dang wish I had known it was that easy. Would have helped with college apps.

Comment

There are many levels to all of this investigation. I think there will be some club sports that will be exposed/involved as well as the investigation into not for profit sports has a deep well.
              This recent scandal was an ancillary one discovered while other items were and are still under investigation.

Comment

if you dont think parents have been trading beach houses, private training (wink), team uniforms etc for PT then you are lost. Been going on forever. Happens in HS as well

Comment

What the fvck? Are saying you only do high-level activities for scholarships? Does the same apply to skiing? The piano?

Maybe some kids just love the game and want to play and be the best they can be? THAT should be the reason why kids play; not to chase scholarships.

Comment

Now who is the naive one here ? It’s truly shocking how many clueless people there are.
                    Just like someone’s trash is someone’s treasure
                    Your view of status is not someone else’s
                    Happens all the time in everything. If you truly think different...well sorry

Comment

Now who is the naive one here ? It’s truly shocking how many clueless people there are.
                      Just like someone’s trash is someone’s treasure
                      Your view of status is not someone else’s
                      Happens all the time in everything. If you truly think different...well sorry
                      Huh? No one is paying big money for ecnl or gda spots unless they are a fool. Yale is worth a lot of bribe money. Fancy youth soccer is not.

Comment

Every team I’ve ever seen the coach has favored some kids for playing time and college exposure! This can be due to many things: parent is on the board/team mgr/child of a coach (biggest favoritism I’ve seen is for these players), girls that take private lessons from the coach or assistant coach, girls whose parents donate money to the club, girls who are children of friends or relatives of the coach. Favoritism is bought with money, influence, favors & friendship on probably every club team. Sad but true.

Comment

Every team I’ve ever seen the coach has favored some kids for playing time and college exposure! This can be due to many things: parent is on the board/team mgr/child of a coach (biggest favoritism I’ve seen is for these players), girls that take private lessons from the coach or assistant coach, girls whose parents donate money to the club, girls who are children of friends or relatives of the coach. Favoritism is bought with money, influence, favors & friendship on probably every club team. Sad but true.
                          Let's not forget the mom who is strangely "close" to the coach, especially on the road.

Comment

Well, life is full of that crap unfortunately - it will continue into college, your career and other areas of your life. Kids aren't blind to it but they also need to 1) realize it happens 2) start figuring out how to deal with it. Sulking and blaming politics or being somehow disadvantaged won't get you far in life. Do something about it (preferably not illegal lol)

Comment

True talent rises to the top.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X