Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US WNT Suing over gender discrimination

All the players have filed suit. A legal battle is not what they need going in to WC competition Top Women’s Players Sue U.S. Soccer for Gender Discrimination https://nyti.ms/2C8jg8s

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    All the players have filed suit. A legal battle is not what they need going in to WC competition Top Women’s Players Sue U.S. Soccer for Gender Discrimination https://nyti.ms/2C8jg8s
    Good for them! Timing is great given the attention they are getting with WC coming up. CA has some of the strongest employee protections so filing there is a smart move. Hope they win and bring change. Takes guts to sue the hand that feeds you.

Comment

Good for them! Timing is great given the attention they are getting with WC coming up. CA has some of the strongest employee protections so filing there is a smart move. Hope they win and bring change. Takes guts to sue the hand that feeds you.
      They have a lot of leverage right now. If not resolved by summer, they should walk on the WC ..... that would be the straw that broke USSFs back .... no income from WCs in over 4 years! It would truly strain them to the core financially.

Comment

So where does the money come to pay the WNT? If they can't generate the cash from the woman's side of the sport then why should they get the same amount of money as the MNT?

If they generate equal or more from the woman's side then they should get equal or more. We don't need more subsidies. If no one watches your sport you won't get paid a lot. Case closed. Now that the team isn't a powerhouse and is struggling, this is the last thing they need.

Comment

I think they have a case.
          Compensation is a function of revenue generated. If the men's team earns more, the players should make more, but if the basic percentages are not consistent - which appears to be the case - then women have a strong case. Add-on the discrepancies related to Travel, Hotel Accommodations, and meal per diem and the women will likely win something.

Comment

I think they have a case.
            Compensation is a function of revenue generated. If the men's team earns more, the players should make more, but if the basic percentages are not consistent - which appears to be the case - then women have a strong case. Add-on the discrepancies related to Travel, Hotel Accommodations, and meal per diem and the women will likely win something.
            Wait, what?

Have you ever seen the revues generated men’s team vs. women’s team? Huge descrepency. The gap closed this past cycle, I’m sure, since the men missed out on the huge WC payday. Still can’t imagine tht they are close.

Is it the percentage of revenue generated allocated for compensation that they are unhappy with on the women’s side?

Comment

I thought it was more complicated. I know I read articles a year ago that the WNT had contracted basically a 'fixed price" compensation vs. the MNT that contracted a "revenue share" compensation I think, so it is not as straight forward as it could be. If the WNT contract is risk free and the Mens is revenue based they are completely different.

Comment

Wait, what?

Have you ever seen the revues generated men’s team vs. women’s team? Huge descrepency. The gap closed this past cycle, I’m sure, since the men missed out on the huge WC payday. Still can’t imagine tht they are close.

Is it the percentage of revenue generated allocated for compensation that they are unhappy with on the women’s side?
                Waste of time speculating over what’s in the contracts, etc., but these aren’t commissioned salespeople so doubt revenue-generation is the main basis for how they are compensated. The issues are sex discrimination on a broad range of issues, not a simple pay dispute. I doubt USSF wants it’s dirty laundry dragged through a very public legal proceeding so I’m sure this gets settled out of court and the women get more of what they want.

Poetic that they filed this on International Women’s Day.

Comment

Waste of time speculating over what’s in the contracts, etc., but these aren’t commissioned salespeople so doubt revenue-generation is the main basis for how they are compensated. The issues are sex discrimination on a broad range of issues, not a simple pay dispute. I doubt USSF wants it’s dirty laundry dragged through a very public legal proceeding so I’m sure this gets settled out of court and the women get more of what they want.

so why do NWSL players make 18k ?

Comment

The announcer at the WNT vs England called one of them cute. I hope that is in the lawsuit!

Comment

so why do NWSL players make 18k ?
                      I believe the $18k is the minimum for players that aren’t on NT and are paid directly by their NWSL team. NWSL don’t pay the NT players on their teams, they are paid by USSF. I think I heard the minimum USSF can pay a NT player is $45k, but I’m sure there are a bunch of factors in their bargaining agreement that can boost it much higher.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                        the announcer at the wnt vs england called one of them cute. I hope that is in the lawsuit!
                        omg!🙄

Comment

Equal pay for equal work is fun to say, but ultimately it comes down to what you negotiate. That negotiation is not gong to be based on how hard you work, but rather on how much you produce.

Interesting article from almost 3 years ago, but still good backdrop on the complexity of this issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/s...equal-pay.html
                          article says that in 2016 women generated more top-line revenue and bottom line profit than the men.

Comment

Equal pay for equal work is fun to say, but ultimately it comes down to what you negotiate. That negotiation is not gong to be based on how hard you work, but rather on how much you produce.

Interesting article from almost 3 years ago, but still good backdrop on the complexity of this issue.

article says that in 2016 women generated more top-line revenue and bottom line profit than the men.
                            Of course they did. Soccer is a women's sport in the US.

Comment

So then it may be an issue of needing to negotiate a new contract, not actual planned discrimination. The lawsuit may bring USSF to the bargaining much faster than the time term in their current contract

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X