Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time wasted

Just finished watching the Honduras-Costa Rica Concacaf game. It was not a bad game to watch. However, there is a part of soccer that infuriates me.

Before I go on, please don't respond by telling me that I am an American snob/elitist and that this is how soccer has always been and it is part of the game.

There were three added minutes at the end of regulation time. However, for almost two of those minutes the Costa Rican goalie dawdled to get a goal kick off, earned a yellow card, dawdled some more before passing the ball to his own player in the box, which led the ref to call the ball back for a 're-do'....

Lacrosse for example is a fast moving sport. Four quarters; 15 minutes each. When the play stops so does the clock. If a player goes down for an injury (or in soccer 'a flop'), there is no waste of time....the clock stops. Substitutions don't waste time.

I would be curious to know how much time is lost during a soccer game non-specific delays, substitutions, setting up free kicks, throw ins, flops and 'injuries' etc etc etc. Some of the funniest and also most pathetic videos in all of sport are soccer flops..

http://gazette.com/student-suspended...rticle/1564644

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3HebsWpZ1Q

Some would call it good game management. It can be infuriating as well.

One of the typical tactics at youth levels is the coach that subs a player at every opportunity towards the end of the match. It's usually the farthest player from the bench, trying to hold a one goal lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Just finished watching the Honduras-Costa Rica Concacaf game. It was not a bad game to watch. However, there is a part of soccer that infuriates me.

Before I go on, please don't respond by telling me that I am an American snob/elitist and that this is how soccer has always been and it is part of the game.

There were three added minutes at the end of regulation time. However, for almost two of those minutes the Costa Rican goalie dawdled to get a goal kick off, earned a yellow card, dawdled some more before passing the ball to his own player in the box, which led the ref to call the ball back for a 're-do'....

Lacrosse for example is a fast moving sport. Four quarters; 15 minutes each. When the play stops so does the clock. If a player goes down for an injury (or in soccer 'a flop'), there is no waste of time....the clock stops. Substitutions don't waste time.

I would be curious to know how much time is lost during a soccer game non-specific delays, substitutions, setting up free kicks, throw ins, flops and 'injuries' etc etc etc. Some of the funniest and also most pathetic videos in all of sport are soccer flops..

http://gazette.com/student-suspended...rticle/1564644

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3HebsWpZ1Q
      Have you try watching girls lacrosse. Play stoppages almost every freaking 3 minutes. A hour game end up 2 hours. 30-40% of the time is done to infractions. At least in soccer the referee can add on time if he/she feels time were being wasted. You make not like it but it is up to the other team to win possession and try to score.

Comment

Have you try watching girls lacrosse. Play stoppages almost every freaking 3 minutes. A hour game end up 2 hours. 30-40% of the time is done to infractions. At least in soccer the referee can add on time if he/she feels time were being wasted. You make not like it but it is up to the other team to win possession and try to score.
        There has to be a happy middle here....Perhaps no subs in the final 5 minutes....harsh penalties for game delays......red cards instead of yellows. Retroactive yellow cards for flopping or other infractions not picked up.....

Comment

The end of a basketball game is the absolute worst thing on earth.

Comment

The end of a basketball game is the absolute worst thing on earth.
            Or not use a clock as in baseball and watch guys scratch, spit and on occasion throw a ball. For four freaking hours. And then some old fat dude waddles out in a uniform to confer (about wedding gifts, as we know from Bull Durham).

Different games, different rhythms. Take a look at rugby (especially 7s) for a fast-paced sport with little fluff. Absolutely no back talk to the ref. Not even a side glance or you'll earn a penalty.

Comment

Or not use a clock as in baseball and watch guys scratch, spit and on occasion throw a ball. For four freaking hours. And then some old fat dude waddles out in a uniform to confer (about wedding gifts, as we know from Bull Durham).

Different games, different rhythms. Take a look at rugby (especially 7s) for a fast-paced sport with little fluff. Absolutely no back talk to the ref. Not even a side glance or you'll earn a penalty.

OK. Baseball is the extreme in the other direction. That said, there are now limitations to how long in between pitches and how many time and for how long 'conferences' can be held at the mound.

Rugby is a real sport.....no flops and no delays in this game.

How about......for soccer....no subs in the last 5 minutes....and any delays get a card??

Comment

OK. Baseball is the extreme in the other direction. That said, there are now limitations to how long in between pitches and how many time and for how long 'conferences' can be held at the mound.

Rugby is a real sport.....no flops and no delays in this game.

How about......for soccer....no subs in the last 5 minutes....and any delays get a card??
                Each team has 3 subs. What does it matter if it's taken in the first 5 or the last 5?

Comment

Each team has 3 subs. What does it matter if it's taken in the first 5 or the last 5?
                  This must be a rhetorical question. Clearly there is a huge difference between the first 5 minutes and final five minutes on many levels.
                  I would also venture that a sub made in the 'first 5 minutes' or some time other than the final 20 minutes only takes about 30 seconds to accomplish, while a sub made in the last five minutes or extra time period...by the team in the lead takes about 2 minutes with the ref blowing the whistle telling the players to hurry up.

Although I know it is within the rules, I just hate watching delays.

Comment

This must be a rhetorical question. Clearly there is a huge difference between the first 5 minutes and final five minutes on many levels.
                    I would also venture that a sub made in the 'first 5 minutes' or some time other than the final 20 minutes only takes about 30 seconds to accomplish, while a sub made in the last five minutes or extra time period...by the team in the lead takes about 2 minutes with the ref blowing the whistle telling the players to hurry up.

Although I know it is within the rules, I just hate watching delays.
                    So he marks the time on his watch and adds it on. I don't see the problem.

Your proposal is a guy is gassed in the 88th minute, and we have to leave him out there? That's an injury waiting to happen.

Comment

So he marks the time on his watch and adds it on. I don't see the problem.

Your proposal is a guy is gassed in the 88th minute, and we have to leave him out there? That's an injury waiting to happen.
                      Mistakes are most likely to be made then as well, game changing mistakes

Comment

FIFA is considering changes...
                        http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...rld-cup-061717

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X