Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing interest in soccer -

My 16 yr old daughter told me a couple months ago she wanted to quit soccer. Prior to this she played in a competitive league and up until this point she had expressed interest to play soccer in college - with a handful of D1, D2, and D3 schools expressing interest. For several years she loved playing and I was blindsighted by her announcement. She is s rising junior and she had a great 10th grade year involving herself in different clubs and activities in school. I had hoped she would change her mind but it looks like she has made it up. She's an impact player for both her club and HS team. She's still open to playing in HS but on the fence. A few other girls from her HS team are also not returning.

This used to decorate her room with soccer posters and seemed so certain. I share this because I have a younger U14 daughter who loves soccer now but it has got me wondering whether she will also lose interest once she's in high school.

There is no real point of this post other than to share our experience. Every year we've allowed our girls to decide. And I never imagined one of them quitting.

I'd just make sure that she knows whatever amount of hours previously spent on soccer must now be filled with something else constructive.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'd just make sure that she knows whatever amount of hours previously spent on soccer must now be filled with something else constructive.
      Boys/parties? LOL!

Comment

Did you realize what you just said?
        'must now be filled with something else constructive'

Perhaps, if they found the time to be fun and free while learning and enjoying the game they would want to continue. Too much regimentation from external desires is not how to build an internal love and desire to continue doing something. The drive to continue has to come from within.

Regardless of what your daughters do, it would help if they are enjoying it. Instead of scheduling and signing them up for stuff, you might consider going out and kicking a ball around with them.....just for fun.

Comment

How many girls will resent soccer playing DA a couple years?

Comment

How many girls will resent soccer playing DA a couple years?
            It depends on who is driving it: Parent or player

Comment

It depends on who is driving it: Parent or player
              I gave my child the choice to play club or not play club and if the latter to decide what team he really want to play for. She chose to play and for a club that would not have been my ideal selection. However, it is a decent team and for a decent club......but it was her choice.

Comment

I gave my child the choice to play club or not play club and if the latter to decide what team he really want to play for. She chose to play and for a club that would not have been my ideal selection. However, it is a decent team and for a decent club......but it was her choice.
                How many parents really let their kids decide? Because I know several parents who decided for their kids they would do DA.

Comment

To the op: it happens. All the time. They're maturing and learning about themselves and what they want in life. One of mine went through it with a different sport while far into the recruiting process. Despite having tremendous interest from coaches he decided he just wanted to focus on school and his next chapter. It was a little sad to us as we had so many great family experiences with it over the years. But much better that he decide then, rather be unhappy in college (many collegiate athletes don't make it all 4 years ). Taking athletics out of the equation let him focus solely in the best academic fit. He does club and coaches little kids and is incredibly happy and crushing it in school.

That said you should encourage her to explore why she feels the way she does. Is she burnt out? Is she no longer having fun? Teammate or coach issues? In other words could a change help improve her enthusiasm? Most likely she will still come to the same conclusion but it's good to make certain so that there aren't any regrets later.

Comment

How many parents really let their kids decide? Because I know several parents who decided for their kids they would do DA.
                    Or they say their kid decided but they lay out their very clear preferences in not so subtle ways.

Comment

How long until we get the oldie but goodie "You're wasting your time and money on club soccer" because most kids won't play in college or get any money for it" response? 5 4 3 2 1

Comment

My 16 yr old daughter told me a couple months ago she wanted to quit soccer. Prior to this she played in a competitive league and up until this point she had expressed interest to play soccer in college - with a handful of D1, D2, and D3 schools expressing interest. For several years she loved playing and I was blindsighted by her announcement. She is s rising junior and she had a great 10th grade year involving herself in different clubs and activities in school. I had hoped she would change her mind but it looks like she has made it up. She's an impact player for both her club and HS team. She's still open to playing in HS but on the fence. A few other girls from her HS team are also not returning.

This used to decorate her room with soccer posters and seemed so certain. I share this because I have a younger U14 daughter who loves soccer now but it has got me wondering whether she will also lose interest once she's in high school.

There is no real point of this post other than to share our experience. Every year we've allowed our girls to decide. And I never imagined one of them quitting.
                        I'd be paying close attention to any new friends and her grades.

Comment

I will qualify this a bit more.....my child decided she wanted to play club soccer. 'We' did, together, explored the options. We narrowed it down to 4 teams from four different clubs. Two she had spots on and two, one of which she preferred to make (mostly due to friends who were also trying out) she would have had to try out for. She was offered a spot on her preferred team and had to make a decision before any of the other tryouts happened.

personally, I might have preferred one of the others that she would have less travel with.

So....yes....I did help narrow it down to 4 possibilities.

Comment

How long until we get the oldie but goodie "You're wasting your time and money on club soccer" because most kids won't play in college or get any money for it" response? 5 4 3 2 1
                            hahaha.... for my son, the club arranged specific showcases for DI and DIII coaches. He preferred DIII so he could play early i.e. freshman year. After the DIII showcase he received 18 phone calls/emails from coaches. He narrowed it down to 6 and selected one. All were strong academic schools for which the coaches support helped him get into. He is have a great time....so far.....

so....did I waste my money on club sports??
                            perhaps......perhaps not......but it is my money and my choice to spend it on what I want....right??

Comment

My daughter made the choice to play DA, even though her Dad was dead set against it. I've found once they get into HS it's close to impossible to force them into something. My son, who played club the last two years decided to quit and only play HS. It has to be the kid's decision, otherwise they'll make your life miserable.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X