Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow Arizona with summer soccer

Saw this on facebook and do wonder why do let our kids play during the hottest time of the year

--------------------

So, how hot is too hot? I'm really bummed right now. Last game (make-up) of regular season tonight. Game time temp 97 degrees on grass. I call for water breaks midway through each half. And we took a ten minute halftime instead of 5 min. Just before the second water break, while setting up an IDK (pass back to keeper) I hear "Ref, Ref, player down". I look up field and a player was convulsing (heat stroke?). Luckily, the coach on the other team was an EMT. But 30 minutes later when the ambulance took him away, he was still unresponsive. We just called the game at that point. No one really wanted to play anymore. Sunday, we did a U-19 game on turf in 97 degrees, in hot, sticky, DC. It was close to unbearable. After seeing that kid tonight, it is like, why are we doing this to the kids? Should we jeopardize their health so we can have bragging rights about how great our kids play? I'm second guessing my decision to do Super Y this summer. After tonight, I'm really thinking about taking the summer off.

Personally I think it's a good idea to take the summer off, or at least scale it way back. It's fine to do pick up games, training, work out in the gym etc, (all being mindful of the heat) just nothing scheduled/planed/structured. Maybe one really good camp. The rest of the summer is for doing other things, family vacation, sleep away camps, summer jobs etc. Bodies and minds need a break.

Comment

The issue is that youth soccer does not have any generic mandated weather restrictions. The NCAA has strict and clear guidelines of playing times in both extreme cold and hot temperatures, something that could easily be adjusted and applied throughout all US Club/US Youth events.

Hearing stories such as the one quoted in the OP is completely avoidable but clubs/coaches are pressured into honoring all games/commitments and common sense can be compromised if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The issue is that youth soccer does not have any generic mandated weather restrictions. The NCAA has strict and clear guidelines of playing times in both extreme cold and hot temperatures, something that could easily be adjusted and applied throughout all US Club/US Youth events.

Hearing stories such as the one quoted in the OP is completely avoidable but clubs/coaches are pressured into honoring all games/commitments and common sense can be compromised if so.
        Even worse when there's travel involved - team that traveled will complain if the game is cancelled due to weather. Refs and coaches need to be the adults and make the right call.

Comment

Even worse when there's travel involved - team that traveled will complain if the game is cancelled due to weather. Refs and coaches need to be the adults and make the right call.
          Ref controls the game regarding weather issues...Coaches control their players,parents and that's it...if the team is travelling out of state in the summer time...that's on them..

Comment

Ref controls the game regarding weather issues...Coaches control their players,parents and that's it...if the team is travelling out of state in the summer time...that's on them..
            If coaches are concerned they should confer with the ref. You never know what they're thinking. At a minimum try and establish break times so kids can get enough water rather than play a full half. That let's coaches take a quick look at their players and gauge fatigue. some kids will keep going until they literally fall over.

Comment

You never know what they're thinking.
              who are you talking about? Ref's, coach's,parents or players? "who,who,who"?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X