Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of year wrap up

Just curious how many people are still happy with their team / club as the year is wrapping up? I ask because I have 4 kids and have been in this game for ten plus years and I swear there is always drama, people pissed off, people hating on their coach, team, club, etc. Evey single year. Same thing. Before people pile on.... Just know that I am quite calm and relaxed (remember 10 years in this...), so I try to stay clear of nonsense but just trying to see if what I see / feel is the norm after a long year of soccer or if I'm just living in my own personal hell year after year after year. 😃

My boy had a very good to great season. His team was weak but got a lot of play time with a very good coach and a bunch of good kids and parents. He will stay with stay with the same club next year.
    I only hope that club soccer add a fourth or fifth day for conditioning.
    That said, if they have to play out on the grass fields of UMASS again during Memorial Weekend then we quit!!! Those fields were awful

Comment

I'm so glad it's over for us. Daughter going to college this fall. 11 years of club soccer takes a lot out of you. At the beginning it's all rainbows and unicorns and as they get older it's as cut throat a business as I've ever been associated with. I'm so glad this new GDAP missed us.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I'm so glad it's over for us. Daughter going to college this fall. 11 years of club soccer takes a lot out of you. At the beginning it's all rainbows and unicorns and as they get older it's as cut throat a business as I've ever been associated with. I'm so glad this new GDAP missed us.

The cut throats experience is only present if you are hoping your kid makes the top team and has desires to play college soccer. Youth soccer then becomes a bit like life and has a pyramidal structure. The better you are the further you move up the pyramid while others drop off. It is no different than anything else they will experience when applying for schools and looking for jobs. 'Not everyone wins a trophy'.

If you think it is exhausting for you as a parent imagine what it might have been for your child with internal pressure and external pressure from parents coaches and peers.

Comment

Just curious how many people are still happy with their team / club as the year is wrapping up? I ask because I have 4 kids and have been in this game for ten plus years and I swear there is always drama, people pissed off, people hating on their coach, team, club, etc. Evey single year. Same thing. Before people pile on.... Just know that I am quite calm and relaxed (remember 10 years in this...), so I try to stay clear of nonsense but just trying to see if what I see / feel is the norm after a long year of soccer or if I'm just living in my own personal hell year after year after year. 😃
          We didn't like the coach this year, a bit of a lunatic, only gave a hoot about his favorites- but that was our only gripe and we stuck it out. Staying with the same club and welcoming a new coach.

Comment

Bizarre post/thread. You're calm and fine, and all this, given your 4 kids as you say, is old hat to you. Then you detail how you already know what happens every year. And then you feel the need to pre-justify your thread by even more bizarrely saying you try to steer clear of the "nonsense," as you put it, but nevertheless want to see how many experience what you conclude by saying is a personal hell despite what you said just above that.

Comment

I hated the year, and with the help and guidance provided on TS I mustered up the courage to pull both of my kids out. One is going to just play town again and the other is excited to start guitar lessons. I will keep posting on TS though as a public service volunteer.

Comment

Bizarre post/thread. You're calm and fine, and all this, given your 4 kids as you say, is old hat to you. Then you detail how you already know what happens every year. And then you feel the need to pre-justify your thread by even more bizarrely saying you try to steer clear of the "nonsense," as you put it, but nevertheless want to see how many experience what you conclude by saying is a personal hell despite what you said just above that.
                It's bizarre because it's not a genuine post, but just a set up so that a bunch of "different" posters can chime in that their kids are all dropping out of club soccer to go back to town, which in reality rarely happens (kids either continue with club, or drop soccer completely for another sport). Same guy that's been urging people to drop club all year, because he thinks most kids (ones that aren't D1 bound) simply need town soccer. Obviously has no idea how dismal town soccer is in many areas, because he probably has a strong program where he is.

Comment

Same here. Best of luck to all those that will have to deal with the gdap nonsense. That decision would have been excruciating for us. I'd sum it up as club was a job, HS was a team.

Comment

It's bizarre because it's not a genuine post, but just a set up so that a bunch of "different" posters can chime in that their kids are all dropping out of club soccer to go back to town, which in reality rarely happens (kids either continue with club, or drop soccer completely for another sport). Same guy that's been urging people to drop club all year, because he thinks most kids (ones that aren't D1 bound) simply need town soccer. Obviously has no idea how dismal town soccer is in many areas, because he probably has a strong program where he is.

hahaha....so bizarre, calculating, and disingenuous that it got these two bozos to chime in anyway. OK then tell about your year on Talking Soccer....

As for the youth soccer, it was a good year for my son. We didn't have to travel too much and playtime was excellent. Next year might be different.
                    My only disappointment was the Needham Memorial Soccer Tournament was not the same. The grass fields out at UMASS sucked.
                    The other local tournaments were very mediocre (NEFC, Scorpion bowl, GPS thanksgiving)

Comment

Son actually had a great year with new club and team.

Unfortunately, coach is moving on as are several players.

He planned on staying but may be moving on, depending on how many kids leave the team.

Comment

OP here. Sorry that you are so disappointed in my bizarre thread. :) I'll try to do better next time. It was mostly just a lighter thread than some of the others. I was sort of just trying to get the sense if it's in the realm of normal for there to be so much angst at this time of year (from all coaches, clubs, parents, players). I see it pretty much every year. I'm definitely NOT perfect and I have been wrapped up in it over the years... but I try hard not to go overboard. Sorry if you are reading too much into my post or if I didn't present it properly. . And if you see, I did put a smiley face at the end after the "personal hell" comment (that was said a little bit tongue in cheek).

ps. To the poster who commented that my post is not genuine and bizarre as it has something to do with town vs. club soccer... Uh, no. Maybe you have me confused with someone else. My youngest is Club soccer only and we would not go back to town... so try again with that "bizarre" nonsense of which you speak. (Not that there is anything wrong with town...).

Comment

OP here. Sorry that you are so disappointed in my bizarre thread. :) I'll try to do better next time. It was mostly just a lighter thread than some of the others. I was sort of just trying to get the sense if it's in the realm of normal for there to be so much angst at this time of year (from all coaches, clubs, parents, players). I see it pretty much every year. I'm definitely NOT perfect and I have been wrapped up in it over the years... but I try hard not to go overboard. Sorry if you are reading too much into my post or if I didn't present it properly. . And if you see, I did put a smiley face at the end after the "personal hell" comment (that was said a little bit tongue in cheek).

ps. To the poster who commented that my post is not genuine and bizarre as it has something to do with town vs. club soccer... Uh, no. Maybe you have me confused with someone else. My youngest is Club soccer only and we would not go back to town... so try again with that "bizarre" nonsense of which you speak. (Not that there is anything wrong with town...).
                          Remember, it's usually the cover-up that creates the biggest problem.

A lighter thread? What the heck does that mean?

Bottom line is that it's very odd that start a whole thread on something you said you already knew the answers on in spades.

Comment

Remember, it's usually the cover-up that creates the biggest problem.

A lighter thread? What the heck does that mean?

Bottom line is that it's very odd that start a whole thread on something you said you already knew the answers on in spades.

I wrote Post #10:: You still continue to offer nothing constructive or worthwhile but instead are suspicious about someone posting something on TS.
                            Who do you think really has the issues here? You or the OP?

Comment

I wrote Post #10:: You still continue to offer nothing constructive or worthwhile but instead are suspicious about someone posting something on TS.
                              Who do you think really has the issues here? You or the OP?
                              Why should we care what post you wrote?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X