Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are 90% of parents a complete disaster?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are 90% of parents a complete disaster?

So how have YOUR tryouts gone?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Age change last year... teams all F'd up this year... DA next year will lead to a lot more movement throughout the levels.

Comment

You know the answer.

Its called 'living vicariously through their kids'.

Comment

You know the answer.

Its called 'living vicariously through their kids'.
        Also for me I never played soccer so had no reference point.
        My kid was best player in town soccer.
        I thought he would be on National team and a Pro.
        Didn't happen.
        He was a solid D1 college player

Comment

Nothing new about whack-job parents (myself included). I haven't seen the movie "The Music Man" in years, but I remember the part where the kids are formed into a rag-tag band that sounds like a braying gaggle of geese in a car wreck and looks worse. Seen through the parents' eyes this awful band are the gleaming 76 trombones and sound like the USC marching band. Club Soccer=Music Man, same scam, different medium, and I still love every minute of it. Enjoy the sunshine. "THATS MY BOY!!!"

Comment

Talk about crazy. Read about these kids who get groomed to win spelling bees.

Comment

Here's my take... The older you get (or your children get), the more realistic and grounded you get - FOR THE MOST PART!

For example, I have three kids who are at different levels of soccer. For the oldest, I was all over her in going here, there and everywhere for tryouts, etc. Overly bummed out when they lost, overly happy when they won.

By my third player (probably the best player of them all), I've become way more calm and grounded... somewhere in the middle. Do you think that I am going to get all worked up over a loss in a regular season match for my youngest? Not a chance (but would have for my oldest). Do you think that I am going to drive him all over creation for this, that and the other thing? Nope. Now, some will say that I should (since he has natural talent), but I'm more realistic than that. He's absolutely a good player, is he D1 material where soccer will be his passion / college "job"... No. So, we will stick with a good club with good training, etc... I've been down this path twice before with my own kids and their friends. Everyone breathe.

Comment

Here's my take... The older you get (or your children get), the more realistic and grounded you get - FOR THE MOST PART!

For example, I have three kids who are at different levels of soccer. For the oldest, I was all over her in going here, there and everywhere for tryouts, etc. Overly bummed out when they lost, overly happy when they won.

By my third player (probably the best player of them all), I've become way more calm and grounded... somewhere in the middle. Do you think that I am going to get all worked up over a loss in a regular season match for my youngest? Not a chance (but would have for my oldest). Do you think that I am going to drive him all over creation for this, that and the other thing? Nope. Now, some will say that I should (since he has natural talent), but I'm more realistic than that. He's absolutely a good player, is he D1 material where soccer will be his passion / college "job"... No. So, we will stick with a good club with good training, etc... I've been down this path twice before with my own kids and their friends. Everyone breathe.

The younger and lower level the sport, the worse the parents are. That's because they are filled with first timers who live and breathe every second, and they haven't yet been exposed to all the higher levels above them, and how their ridiculous behavior is at best, useless, and worst, very counter-productive. Do this ... check out a U10 travel team game, and then a U17 high level club game. Night and Day!!! And its the same with other sports. Went to my daughters 8th grade basketball game and their was a 4th grade game going on before ours... the stands were NUTS! Filled with screaming mom's and dad's making total fools of themselves. Chill out people. Its great to be involved in the game and supportive, but you all need to calm the f down. LOL!

Comment

The younger and lower level the sport, the worse the parents are. That's because they are filled with first timers who live and breathe every second, and they haven't yet been exposed to all the higher levels above them, and how their ridiculous behavior is at best, useless, and worst, very counter-productive. Do this ... check out a U10 travel team game, and then a U17 high level club game. Night and Day!!! And its the same with other sports. Went to my daughters 8th grade basketball game and their was a 4th grade game going on before ours... the stands were NUTS! Filled with screaming mom's and dad's making total fools of themselves. Chill out people. Its great to be involved in the game and supportive, but you all need to calm the f down. LOL!
                  This is so true. Going through it all again with my third (2005) has been funny. A lot of them are first timers with their oldest kid... the non-stop chatter and panic about everything is funny to watch. One of my son's friends is a tiny little guy (and not that skilled) and his parents are breathing down his neck about every little move the kid makes. It's sad.

Comment

And I'll tell you something else. At U12/13 level, go to a tournament where you play different teams. Get put into a higher bracket then you usually play, boy what a wake up call/ reality check!!! We have seen that our Suzies aren't the best out there, not by a long shot. It will help bring you down a notch :)

Comment

Sad to see your parent hating hasn't gone away. Next you'll be complaining that you actually have to talk to parents and telling everyone that parents should just pay the check and let f**king idiots like you have complete control over their kids. That was always rich. Like any sane parent is going to trust some half wit coach with no more than a high school education screw up their kid over soccer.

Comment

Sad to see your parent hating hasn't gone away. Next you'll be complaining that you actually have to talk to parents and telling everyone that parents should just pay the check and let f**king idiots like you have complete control over their kids. That was always rich. Like any sane parent is going to trust some half wit coach with no more than a high school education screw up their kid over soccer.
                        LOL. I posted once in this thread and you're an idiot because I am most definitely a PARENT. My guess is that there isn't a single coach posting on this thread. Nice try, though. :)

Comment

What is the worst, is the kid with talent who is being ruined by a parent. And the parent doesn't even know it.

There's a kid on my son's U13 team. The dad has progressively gotten worse over the course of the year. The kid started the year happy and played great. Now he's increasingly frazzled, yelling at teammates, and seems all around miserable. It's like watching a car crash. He gets hurt, dad screams get up and suck it up. He makes a good play, somehow it's not good enough. The sideline coaching is constant and angry. Dad has never played soccer.

Kid is moving to an NPL team next season. I can only imagine how much worse it will get. Only a matter of time before the kid quits soccer all together.

It's parents/situations like this that make me take a step back. The more I support and praise my kid for his hard work and good play, the harder he works and better he gets. He loves the game. I'm not about to ruin that for him.

Comment

at least 90% of club owners are a complete disaster so it's one big dysfunctional family

Comment

What is the worst, is the kid with talent who is being ruined by a parent. And the parent doesn't even know it.

There's a kid on my son's U13 team. The dad has progressively gotten worse over the course of the year. The kid started the year happy and played great. Now he's increasingly frazzled, yelling at teammates, and seems all around miserable. It's like watching a car crash. He gets hurt, dad screams get up and suck it up. He makes a good play, somehow it's not good enough. The sideline coaching is constant and angry. Dad has never played soccer.

Kid is moving to an NPL team next season. I can only imagine how much worse it will get. Only a matter of time before the kid quits soccer all together.

It's parents/situations like this that make me take a step back. The more I support and praise my kid for his hard work and good play, the harder he works and better he gets. He loves the game. I'm not about to ruin that for him.
                              Completely agree with this. Have seen it a few times. Having their child play well means so much to these parents (yes, too much) it's odd how they don't see how their behavior is bringing about exactly what they don't want. It never ends well for the kid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X