•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCAA establishes recruiting dead period in Division I women’s soccer

NCAA establishes recruiting dead period
    in Division I women’s soccer

(June 6, 2017) – The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Board of Directors recently adopted legislation to implement a recruiting dead period for NCAA Division I women’s soccer from December 15 through January 5. This dead period will take effect for the first time in the upcoming 2017-18 school year.

During a dead period, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools.

The legislation to implement the dead period was proposed by the Big 12 Conference and Southeastern Conference, and a survey of NCAA Division I women’s soccer head coaches conducted by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America showed 56% of respondents in favor of the dead period, 35% not in favor and 9% undecided.

“A majority of Division I women’s coaches were in support of the dead period proposal so we are excited that it passed,” said Karen Hoppa, head coach at Auburn University and the Division I representative for the NSCAA Women’s College Membership Group. “We feel it will allow our coaches to have some down time after our season and will allow a break for the prospects who play soccer all year long.”

From a scheduling perspective for youth clubs and college coaches, this development affects the timing of two major youth events previously scheduled from December 15-January 5 in Florida. The Disney Girls Showcase in Orlando will now be played November 23-25, 2017 and the Elite Clubs National League National Event in Sanford will be held January 6-8, 2018. To receive more information about the Disney and ECNL events, visit www.disneysoccershowcase.com and www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com.

The new 22-day recruiting dead period for NCAA Division I women’s soccer will be followed by an annual four-day recruiting dead period in NCAA Division I men’s and women’s soccer for the Monday through Thursday of the initial week for signing of the National Letter of Intent. For the 2017-18 school year, the initial signing date for prospective student-athletes in the sport of soccer to sign a National Letter of Intent is February 7, 2018 and the dead period will take place from February 5-8, 2018.

hallelujah! Although travel costs to Orlando over Thanksgiving is $$$ too.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      hallelujah! Although travel costs to Orlando over Thanksgiving is $$$ too.
      Now my daughter has to miss school to attend the ECNL event. Not sure how that benefits her.

Comment

Now my daughter has to miss school to attend the ECNL event. Not sure how that benefits her.
        Nah, not school. Just another holiday with the family. Then there is the big $$$$ travel fees for thanksgiving. Most expensive time of the year. Yay, I can't wait.

Comment

School, schmool. She's getting a D1 scholarship and a tip from the soccer coach!

Comment

School, schmool. She's getting a D1 scholarship and a tip from the soccer coach!
            That's better than paying full freight and finding out that your kid slept through most classes freshmen year. As far as I am concerned, a serious D1 scholarship equates to having your kid make $30,000 a year from ages 18-22 while keeping them on the straight and narrow. It is an ideal deal.

Comment

NCAA establishes recruiting dead period
              in Division I women’s soccer

(June 6, 2017) – The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Board of Directors recently adopted legislation to implement a recruiting dead period for NCAA Division I women’s soccer from December 15 through January 5. This dead period will take effect for the first time in the upcoming 2017-18 school year.

During a dead period, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools.

The legislation to implement the dead period was proposed by the Big 12 Conference and Southeastern Conference, and a survey of NCAA Division I women’s soccer head coaches conducted by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America showed 56% of respondents in favor of the dead period, 35% not in favor and 9% undecided.

“A majority of Division I women’s coaches were in support of the dead period proposal so we are excited that it passed,” said Karen Hoppa, head coach at Auburn University and the Division I representative for the NSCAA Women’s College Membership Group. “We feel it will allow our coaches to have some down time after our season and will allow a break for the prospects who play soccer all year long.”

From a scheduling perspective for youth clubs and college coaches, this development affects the timing of two major youth events previously scheduled from December 15-January 5 in Florida. The Disney Girls Showcase in Orlando will now be played November 23-25, 2017 and the Elite Clubs National League National Event in Sanford will be held January 6-8, 2018. To receive more information about the Disney and ECNL events, visit www.disneysoccershowcase.com and www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com.

The new 22-day recruiting dead period for NCAA Division I women’s soccer will be followed by an annual four-day recruiting dead period in NCAA Division I men’s and women’s soccer for the Monday through Thursday of the initial week for signing of the National Letter of Intent. For the 2017-18 school year, the initial signing date for prospective student-athletes in the sport of soccer to sign a National Letter of Intent is February 7, 2018 and the dead period will take place from February 5-8, 2018.
              Nice to see the rules only apply to girls. So the boys are ok to have their tourney during Christmas break, but the girls "get" to travel on Thanksgiving, the busiest and most expensive travel dates of the calendar year. Such crap...

Comment

Nice to see the rules only apply to girls. So the boys are ok to have their tourney during Christmas break, but the girls "get" to travel on Thanksgiving, the busiest and most expensive travel dates of the calendar year. Such crap...
                Seems as though the NSCAA got sick of Florida between Christmas and New Years. Big blow to CASL and NEWSS tourneys and probably some west coast ones as well with Disney moving to November.

Comment

Nah, not school. Just another holiday with the family. Then there is the big $$$$ travel fees for thanksgiving. Most expensive time of the year. Yay, I can't wait.
                  I'm sure Mickey will serve up a nice homestyle turkey dinner for a reasonable cost....not!

Comment

Screw the Mouse.

Comment

Screw the Mouse.
                      Hard to screw the mouse when the mouse is doing all the screwing.

Comment

Seems as though the NSCAA got sick of Florida between Christmas and New Years. Big blow to CASL and NEWSS tourneys and probably some west coast ones as well with Disney moving to November.
                        I wouldn't be surprised if they adopted it next year

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if they adopted it next year
                          Who? the men's side?

Comment

Who? the men's side?
                            yes. based on this comment and the larger piece that the announcement specifically said women's soccer

"Nice to see the rules only apply to girls. So the boys are ok to have their tourney during Christmas break, but the girls "get" to travel on Thanksgiving, the busiest and most expensive travel dates of the calendar year. Such crap..."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X