Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecnl/DA not realistic option.

Once again another league setup for the well off..Middle class working families with more than one child will find it hard ,if not impossible for their daughters to play, even though they are skilled enough .How is this ,finding the best players possible .? Mandatory tournaments and training all over the country.

For those who can't afford it and are truly talented, there are ample scholarships avaialble. I don't believe that cost will keep out those who trylu want to participate. Get your kid in at ninth grade and they can travel with another kid. Organize families to send kids together. We have done that successfully. Geography may legitimately keep some kids out. We have kids who come from very diverse socioeconomic backgrounds. I have taken one child with me on events whose parents receive not only training fees but also travel funds. If your faily is invested in supporting your child's participation you will find a way. Sacrifices sometimes have to be made by those in the middle class. Frequently there are hard choices in life with no win-win solution. If your child wants and you want to give it, you will find a way. Your complaint is a cop-op blame game because either she isnt good enough or you and/or she dont want it badly enough.

Comment

I would save a family "sacrifice" for something more important than youth sports but to each their own. You can learn to play soccer well without flying on an airplane. The rest of the world seems to manage.

Your player is not neglected or deprived because you did not pay into the luxury experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        For those who can't afford it and are truly talented, there are ample scholarships avaialble. I don't believe that cost will keep out those who trylu want to participate. Get your kid in at ninth grade and they can travel with another kid. Organize families to send kids together. We have done that successfully. Geography may legitimately keep some kids out. We have kids who come from very diverse socioeconomic backgrounds. I have taken one child with me on events whose parents receive not only training fees but also travel funds. If your faily is invested in supporting your child's participation you will find a way. Sacrifices sometimes have to be made by those in the middle class. Frequently there are hard choices in life with no win-win solution. If your child wants and you want to give it, you will find a way. Your complaint is a cop-op blame game because either she isnt good enough or you and/or she dont want it badly enough.
        Not always that easy. Also now GDA starts at U14, pre ECNL even earlier. Some families may be understandably uncomfortable sending their young daughters with families they don't know well. Also, if you're a single parent household or both parents work, just logistics of getting to practices every week can be daunting. Plus, to get to that level you have to have been playing at a high level since being fairly young. That would mean getting a scholarship each and every year, plus other costs, since U10 or so. Likely? Not often. The only place doing it right is free MLS clubs. And again those kids have to get exposure and opportunities until they get into the system.

Sorry but overall soccer is still very much a middle to upper class pay to play system.

Comment

Not

Sending your 15yr old daughter with a male stranger across the country ,hmm sounds like a great idea.And what geography would be legitimate.

Comment

Exactly

Not realistic option for many.

Comment

Not always that easy. Also now GDA starts at U14, pre ECNL even earlier. Some families may be understandably uncomfortable sending their young daughters with families they don't know well. Also, if you're a single parent household or both parents work, just logistics of getting to practices every week can be daunting. Plus, to get to that level you have to have been playing at a high level since being fairly young. That would mean getting a scholarship each and every year, plus other costs, since U10 or so. Likely? Not often. The only place doing it right is free MLS clubs. And again those kids have to get exposure and opportunities until they get into the system.

Sorry but overall soccer is still very much a middle to upper class pay to play system.
              If you want it you make it work. This is a cop out position and one reeking of entitlement.

Comment

Not realistic option for many.
                If you want it you make it work. Many will not be willing to make the sacrifices necessary. those are personal decisions that anyone can respect. But the fact is that you prioritize other things over making the DA work. Your decision absolutely but a decision you make none the less. Own it.

Comment

Sorry but this isn't any different than ice hockey, gymnastics, or dance. A friend of my daughter plays ice hockey and they spend 10k a year. Not every one can afford their to send their kid to boarding school either.....life isn't fair

Comment

So

SoYou truly are not getting the best your getting the people that can afford the best.Yes I agree with sacrificing.But that sacrifice shouldn't be all encompassing.

Comment

If you want it you make it work. This is a cop out position and one reeking of entitlement.
                      Oh no...my poor poor baby will be forever scarred if not playing and paying in the DA. I mean this is soccer...there is nothing more important. Whatever will become of my poor lower league player?

Comment

SoYou truly are not getting the best your getting the people that can afford the best.Yes I agree with sacrificing.But that sacrifice shouldn't be all encompassing.
                        The premise that US Soccer is missing all these great players because they can't afford youth soccer is a big, fat myth.

Comment

The premise that US Soccer is missing all these great players because they can't afford youth soccer is a big, fat myth.
                          Oh yes. Soccer talent and a nice fat bank account always go together. They just do. If you can't pay you can't play. Known fact.

Comment

The College game is the pinnacle of the sport.

My child will get the equivalent of 65k per year from a top school to play. Thats is more than 95pct of player in the NWSL earn.

So the economics do not suck people in to the sport. The sport sucks in the demographic that want to go to College. That happens to be mostly middle class folk.

Whilst I do believe there are talented kids out ther who cannot afford to play on Clubs like ECNL/DA - I think the problem is bugger that just Pay to play

Comment

Some parents are more self centered than others. We make sacrifices so our child can compete at a high level. Life is full of choices.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X