•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who won the Memorial Weekend?

So who ran the better tournament?
    GPS or Needham??

Barring one club giving it up, we are going to be stuck with two mediocre tournaments.
    Of interest,at the GPS tournament the only club who sent NPL teams was Aztec. Even GPS didn't like their own tournament.
    At least the Bolts kept their NPL teams home. However, the NPL teams are their second tier teams.

While I don't know about the GPS tournament, using the UMASS grass fields was terrible and more so with the rain. It didn't seem as though the grass had been cut for a couple of weeks. Furthermore, the drainage at those fields is bad.
    While I doubt that the reffing was great at GPS, I do know of several Needham games that were below par and some that couldn't even find a sideline ref.

Dear Needham.....no more at UMASS!!!
    Since the showcase was just U17 to U19 you might have just kept it at Waltham Veterans four turf fields.

IMHO the way that Needham will win the popularity contest i.e. more college coaches, would be to host a DAP showcase. However, they are going to have to use better fields than UMASS.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So who ran the better tournament?
    GPS or Needham??

Barring one club giving it up, we are going to be stuck with two mediocre tournaments.
    Of interest,at the GPS tournament the only club who sent NPL teams was Aztec. Even GPS didn't like their own tournament.
    At least the Bolts kept their NPL teams home. However, the NPL teams are their second tier teams.

While I don't know about the GPS tournament, using the UMASS grass fields was terrible and more so with the rain. It didn't seem as though the grass had been cut for a couple of weeks. Furthermore, the drainage at those fields is bad.
    While I doubt that the reffing was great at GPS, I do know of several Needham games that were below par and some that couldn't even find a sideline ref.

Dear Needham.....no more at UMASS!!!
    Since the showcase was just U17 to U19 you might have just kept it at Waltham Veterans four turf fields.

IMHO the way that Needham will win the popularity contest i.e. more college coaches, would be to host a DAP showcase. However, they are going to have to use better fields than UMASS.
    There were plenty of NPL teams at GPS. Look at the U13 girls age group.

Comment

There were plenty of NPL teams at GPS. Look at the U13 girls age group.
      OK...my bad. I didn't look at the girls teams. In the whole tournament then 6 clubs sent their NPL teams: Liverpool, GPS MA, GPS NH, NEFC, Seacoast, and Aztecs. That said, only one age group (girls) had 4 clubs represented. Otherwise 1 or two were in any given age group with one exception on the girls side (U13). The boys side was essentially void of boys NPL teams.

Comment

OK...my bad. I didn't look at the girls teams. In the whole tournament then 6 clubs sent their NPL teams: Liverpool, GPS MA, GPS NH, NEFC, Seacoast, and Aztecs. That said, only one age group (girls) had 4 clubs represented. Otherwise 1 or two were in any given age group with one exception on the girls side (U13). The boys side was essentially void of boys NPL teams.
        FCUSA also sent NPL teams to GPS

Comment

Who was at Needham?
          Top tier girls teams were at PDA. next tier including lower NPL at GPS.

Comment

And sss was there. They made finals of 13 14 16 17 top brackets -- and have won the three they've played so far.

Comment

SSS 12's are also playing up in U13 second bracket and are in the finals.

Comment

I won the Memorial Weekend. Neither of my kids' teams made the finals and I'm home drinking a beer and lounging around the house. Winning!

Comment

I won the Memorial Weekend. Neither of my kids' teams made the finals and I'm home drinking a beer and lounging around the house. Winning!
                  This is the best! #perspective

Comment

Weather sucked today

Comment

SSS 12's are also playing up in U13 second bracket and are in the finals.
                      Yes and congrats to the girls. I stayed to watch the 03 final with my daughter vs nefc. SSS parents seem to be the most over the top off this weekend. The ref went over to their kids coach to give warning and coach said zero to them.

Comment

Yes and congrats to the girls. I stayed to watch the 03 final with my daughter vs nefc. SSS parents seem to be the most over the top off this weekend. The ref went over to their kids coach to give warning and coach said zero to them.
                        I watched one sss team that played against a team that was put in the wrong bracket and they just ran up the score. The parents showed no class by hooting and yelling after every goal and the players were no better. As a college coach this was hard to watch. I look for talented players, but would not take one of theses kids. Players need to know that we are looking for talent, but also kids that show some respect to their opponents. Very bush league, which I have come to expect from this organization.

Comment

I watched one sss team that played against a team that was put in the wrong bracket and they just ran up the score. The parents showed no class by hooting and yelling after every goal and the players were no better. As a college coach this was hard to watch. I look for talented players, but would not take one of theses kids. Players need to know that we are looking for talent, but also kids that show some respect to their opponents. Very bush league, which I have come to expect from this organization.
                          spot on!

Comment

"Who won the Memorial Weekend?"

"Who won the Memorial Weekend?"
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

JB and PB
                            Cha-ching!!!

Sent their top teams out of town for decent tournaments (parent funded), and hosted their own tournament for their other teams (parent funded) and a few top level, and mostly 2nd and lower level teams from other clubs (opposition-funded).

Comment

And sss was there. They made finals of 13 14 16 17 top brackets -- and have won the three they've played so far.
                              Doesn't SSS win all the tournaments they enter?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X