Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical play

I have two kids, both who are still u-littles. Both are small for their age. The older of the two is an extremely physical player. Not dirty, but always initiating contact to win the ball. I've had many parents tell me they wished their child was that competitive on the field.

My younger child, who is a sound technical player, does everything possible to avoid physical play and will shy away from contact, often leading to losing possession because of lack of aggressiveness.

The weird thing is that, off the field, the younger one is a maniac while the older one is very calm and low key.

I'd like to get the younger child to be more aggressive, without being a crazy parent. Any insightful commentary?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have two kids, both who are still u-littles. Both are small for their age. The older of the two is an extremely physical player. Not dirty, but always initiating contact to win the ball. I've had many parents tell me they wished their child was that competitive on the field.

My younger child, who is a sound technical player, does everything possible to avoid physical play and will shy away from contact, often leading to losing possession because of lack of aggressiveness.

The weird thing is that, off the field, the younger one is a maniac while the older one is very calm and low key.

I'd like to get the younger child to be more aggressive, without being a crazy parent. Any insightful commentary?
    You all ready are a crazy parent if you came here looking for advice

Comment

My kids are exactly the same, both very small, one aggressive and one not. What helped a bit with the non-aggressive kid was putting her in a mixed age summer program, where she was the oldest player. In this program, she was much better technically compared to the younger players, but they were roughly her same size, so her technical confidence carried over into the physical aspect of the game. Over the summer she became just a physical as our other kid.

It didn't quite carry over the way we had hoped when she was put back with much bigger kids her own age at the start of the fall season, same old shying away from any contact, but she knew she had the ability to do it. Over the course of this year, she had games here and there where she turned on the aggression. She's still working on consistency, but is a much more physical player now.

Comment

My kids are exactly the same, both very small, one aggressive and one not. What helped a bit with the non-aggressive kid was putting her in a mixed age summer program, where she was the oldest player. In this program, she was much better technically compared to the younger players, but they were roughly her same size, so her technical confidence carried over into the physical aspect of the game. Over the summer she became just a physical as our other kid.

It didn't quite carry over the way we had hoped when she was put back with much bigger kids her own age at the start of the fall season, same old shying away from any contact, but she knew she had the ability to do it. Over the course of this year, she had games here and there where she turned on the aggression. She's still working on consistency, but is a much more physical player now.
        My daughter is the same. She plays great against teams that aren't aggressive or are not as good. But against good teams or aggressive players she doesn't so as well. But once U13 comes around I have a feeling she will need to step it up or get out.

Comment

CONFIDENCE. It's the key. Figure out how to boost your child's confidence and you'll see them play more aggressively.

Comment

CONFIDENCE. It's the key. Figure out how to boost your child's confidence and you'll see them play more aggressively.
            This. So many parents underestimate this. And even more HURT their kids confidence by their sideline coaching/yelling, and car ride home.

Praise the behavior, you want to see, when your kid does something right. Forget about the mistakes they made. Mistakes are learning opportunities.

As in, "I loved how you were confident and aggressive in that tackle during the first half. That kid was bigger than you, but you stuck with it. You didn't give up, and won the ball."

Or something along those lines.

And keep in mind that while aggressiveness can be taught, to an extent, some kids are just innately more aggressive than others.

Comment

I have the same problem with both my kids until one day I had them both fist fight. Once the beatings were over, they both evened out

Comment

In the long run the small skillful player will be much better then the aggressive player because to compensate for his/her lack of aggressiveness he/she will develop technical skill to avoid being tackles.

Comment

In the long run the small skillful player will be much better then the aggressive player because to compensate for his/her lack of aggressiveness he/she will develop technical skill to avoid being tackles.
                  Except when they have to win 50/50 balls, regain possession from defense and run through balls.

Comment

Except when they have to win 50/50 balls, regain possession from defense and run through balls.
                    Exactly. Little people hate the truth.

Comment

It's always posed as an either/or : small, skilled vs. big and physical. The reality is that the skilled, technical player who is also physical and big enough to not get knocked off balls (and to win them) is going to be the best player.

Comment

Tell that to Celtic Isaiah Thomas...

Comment

Barcelona's attackers really struggle winning back balls from big defenders and they seem to lay down every time they need to win a 50/50, don't they😗

Comment

Barcelona's attackers really struggle winning back balls from big defenders and they seem to lay down every time they need to win a 50/50, don't they😗
                            Exception to the rule, mate. There are always outliers.

Comment

That's because they are aggressive. The original point wasn't about size, it was about aggressiveness. Being technical is not enough, to be successful at the higher levels you have to be many things, and if aggressiveness is not in the mix, you will not go far in soccer. Isaiah Thomas and Barcelona attackers are fearless and aggressive plus technical. Basically making my point.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X