Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club costs

My 11 year old daughter wants to start playing soccer beyond her travel team but my family can't afford the costs. Does anyone know of any way around it? We are just starting the process, but sticker shock has us thinking this may be impossible for her. Any advice would be helpful. We live between central and western Massachusetts if that helps any.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My 11 year old daughter wants to start playing soccer beyond her travel team but my family can't afford the costs. Does anyone know of any way around it? We are just starting the process, but sticker shock has us thinking this may be impossible for her. Any advice would be helpful. We live between central and western Massachusetts if that helps any.
    Costs of playing club soccer vary depending on the club. There are smaller clubs that still charge under $2000 for the year and include everything. Broken down by month that is just over $150 per month. When my kids took dance and gymnastics we spent more than that per month so the costs aren't out of line with other activities. Most clubs offer payment plans to pay it off in chunks which can also help.

Comment

Club Costs

Try Spirit of Liverpool, they are about 950 for the year

Comment

I'm not sure how the pilot of the Town Select program went this year, but if successful, perhaps it might be expanding to your area next year. It's a step up from town travel and looks like it only costs $700 for fall/spring seasons combined. It would be a cheaper way to get her some extra training with better qualified coaches and better players.

http://www.mayouthsoccer.org/program...select_league/

Comment

Costs of playing club soccer vary depending on the club. There are smaller clubs that still charge under $2000 for the year and include everything. Broken down by month that is just over $150 per month. When my kids took dance and gymnastics we spent more than that per month so the costs aren't out of line with other activities. Most clubs offer payment plans to pay it off in chunks which can also help.
          But then you get this guy as the coach, his wife as the manger, some crazy soccer mom as the club registrar, and you'll have to volunteer to be the equipment manager. You practice on beat up town fields during the spring and fall because they are cheap. You practice in some middle school gym during the winter months because it's cheap. You play games against teams run by a similar bunch of people and both you and your kid end up sitting there watching their kid play most of the minutes. Overall a real bargain,

Comment

But then you get this guy as the coach, his wife as the manger, some crazy soccer mom as the club registrar, and you'll have to volunteer to be the equipment manager. You practice on beat up town fields during the spring and fall because they are cheap. You practice in some middle school gym during the winter months because it's cheap. You play games against teams run by a similar bunch of people and both you and your kid end up sitting there watching their kid play most of the minutes. Overall a real bargain,
            You get what you pay for. Everyone should ask the bare min from coach before tryouts.

Comment

What do you mean by "any way around it"?
              These are not taxes-you can choose not to play.
              Stay in travel, play for local high school and you will save thousands of dollars over the years and wind up at the exact same spot as 99.9% of every soccer player in the country upon high school graduation.

Comment

Don't base your decisions just on cost - like someone said often times you get what you pay for. Some clubs, especially bigger ones with deeper pockets, can offer assistance for families in need. Normally you have to fill out some forms. If they really want your player (read:stud) they're more willing to help. Never hurts to ask - worse they can say is no.

Comment

What do you mean by "any way around it"?
                  These are not taxes-you can choose not to play.
                  Stay in travel, play for local high school and you will save thousands of dollars over the years and wind up at the exact same spot as 99.9% of every soccer player in the country upon high school graduation.
                  And there we have it - don't waste your money playing club soccer. We knew it was only matter of time. 8 hours from a midnight posting.

Comment

Some clubs offer assistance, ask! Also, the cheaper clubs don't all have parent coaches and administration like the other guy said. Ask around and find out.

Comment

Thanks so much again, BTNT. May better financial fortunes find you.

Comment

Thanks so much again, BTNT. May better financial fortunes find you.
                        Look, I can't stand him either, but how do you know this isn't a genuine question? The answers have been thoughtful and helpful to a newcomer.

Comment

I'm so confused. Playing at a small inexpensive club is bad?

That's so weird. I just read, on this very board, about the evil of the big clubs, and that if my daughter makes Stars ECNL team she better be a top 5 player on the roster because they will bring up a younger player who is better to take her minutes.

Guess we can't win.

Comment

Look, I can't stand him either, but how do you know this isn't a genuine question? The answers have been thoughtful and helpful to a newcomer.
                            Just look at the thread title itself, and then the wording in the post. Not to mention that we've seen this a hundred times and the "OP" as described wouldn't have even found TS. Thoughtful and helpful?

Comment

I'm so confused. Playing at a small inexpensive club is bad?

That's so weird. I just read, on this very board, about the evil of the big clubs, and that if my daughter makes Stars ECNL team she better be a top 5 player on the roster because they will bring up a younger player who is better to take her minutes.

Guess we can't win.
                              And the lying continues....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X