Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coach texting players?

Looking for honest opinion. My daughter's coach (female) will often text with a couple of players on our team. Sometimes about game strategy ( I am going to play this player here in tomorrow's game etc...). Other times it's a pep talk type of thing. Only to these 2 players.

Curious what parents think about this? I know other girls on the team find it annoying. I think it lends to the idea that the coach is "playing favorites" Sometimes some of the other players are with the girls when they receive these texts and I think it makes the girls not receiving texts feel awkward. Honestly it has created some animosity- but none of the girls are comfortable bringing it up.

Is it normal? Not a big deal? Or inappropriate? I think it's a little inappropriate but trying to fiugre out if others think it's fine. Thanks.

The girls are U14 so 12/13 year olds. When hormones are certainly raging. :)

What's the coach's preferred pronoun?

Comment

Definitely sounds like favoritism to me. No 12/13 year old should have input like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        What's the coach's preferred pronoun?
        She

No worries that its inappropriate in that way.

Comment

Definitely sounds like favoritism to me. No 12/13 year old should have input like that.
          Agreed. Inappropriate. She is going to cause a problem amongst the team.

Comment

Looking for honest opinion. My daughter's coach (female) will often text with a couple of players on our team. Sometimes about game strategy ( I am going to play this player here in tomorrow's game etc...). Other times it's a pep talk type of thing. Only to these 2 players.

Curious what parents think about this? I know other girls on the team find it annoying. I think it lends to the idea that the coach is "playing favorites" Sometimes some of the other players are with the girls when they receive these texts and I think it makes the girls not receiving texts feel awkward. Honestly it has created some animosity- but none of the girls are comfortable bringing it up.

Is it normal? Not a big deal? Or inappropriate? I think it's a little inappropriate but trying to fiugre out if others think it's fine. Thanks.

The girls are U14 so 12/13 year olds. When hormones are certainly raging. :)
            I am going to guess that your D is one of the two. Imagine if they were not. Then ask the questions. Quite simple really.

Comment

Agreed. Inappropriate. She is going to cause a problem amongst the team.
              I mean...I don't like it when I see ours talking to another parent and I know it's discussing some of those things. That's bad enough...but to the individual players

eeeessshhh...

Comment

I am going to guess that your D is one of the two. Imagine if they were not. Then ask the questions. Quite simple really.
                She's actually NOT one of the two- I find it annoying but was trying to figure out if I was the unreasonable one. I didn't want to bring it up to other parents on the team and start a problem so figured I would ask here.

Comment

She's actually NOT one of the two- I find it annoying but was trying to figure out if I was the unreasonable one. I didn't want to bring it up to other parents on the team and start a problem so figured I would ask here.
                  Are they captains? Even still, it's odd even if not inappropriate

Comment

It's going to be hard to not come across like a jealous whiner, but I don't think it's right either.

Seems like you have the full backing of TS...use that when talking to other parents, LOL

Comment

Are the two players in question captains on the team? Are they leaders on and off the field? That might answer the question better than a bunch of strangers thinking it is inappropiate without any background info.

Having said that, I know my D's coach uses email, not text to communicate with the team and requires all communication be CC'd to the parents as well. So, there is that.

Comment

Are they captains? Even still, it's odd even if not inappropriate
                        Nope. Not captains

Comment

Are the two players in question captains on the team? Are they leaders on and off the field? That might answer the question better than a bunch of strangers thinking it is inappropiate without any background info.

Having said that, I know my D's coach uses email, not text to communicate with the team and requires all communication be CC'd to the parents as well. So, there is that.
                          Strong field players for sure but definitely not the two strongest. Nice kids. Not saying they are at fault at all.

I think your D's coach has the right idea. Maybe ours will go on TS and see this and realize her way may not be the best way. Lol

Comment

As a coach I find it uncomfortable for players texting the coach. Maybe age 16 and up where players are driving and they are more in control of their schedule. It's probably harmless but we are talking about young kids and sometimes kids in groups get bored and if they are in a group they could get carried away and start texting the coach. It could be harmless prank calling if the players friends get the coaches number. 99% it's harmless but I wouldn't put myself it that position with a young player having my phone number.
                            I'm all for the players having a group text with other players.
                            If a coach needs to text a 12/13 year old about the game they shouldn't be coaching.

Comment

sounds like grooming to me.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X