Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times has your kid switched clubs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many times has your kid switched clubs?

My daughter is on her second club. Small club at age U8 & U9 onto one of the bigger clubs for U10 & U11. We have friends who are on their third club in three years and are "evaluating the landscape" in advance of June tryouts.

Got me thinking. On average how often do kids chance clubs and is it always small club to big club?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter is on her second club. Small club at age U8 & U9 onto one of the bigger clubs for U10 & U11. We have friends who are on their third club in three years and are "evaluating the landscape" in advance of June tryouts.

Got me thinking. On average how often do kids chance clubs and is it always small club to big club?
    I think we're outliers, but my son was with the same club from U10 and will be coming back this summer to play in the NEP men's league as a U20. He was always middle of the pack on his team, never felt the need to move, liked his teammates, and we were comfortable with the setup.

Comment

Seems like 2-3 changes are very normal - first time get your feet wet so to speak, then you learn a few things, see where your kid is going skills wise, and change 1-2 more times as they progress (or don't progress and you step back down a level). Certainly if they play through HS then 4 also isn't totally nuts. But every year is crazy and is an indication of parental issues. Most likely they overestimate their children's abilities and blame lack of progress or playing time as all the coaches fault. God forbid their kid just isn't very good or not a hard worker. Sure there are reasons for some exceptions (team or club implodes - happened to us once), but a consistent pattern is a red flag.

Comment

Rec for three years, same club now for her 4th. Considering, possibly, switching next year. At least leaving the door open, but it's something we would rather not do.

Comment

I have seen players development destroyed by constant club hopping. Parents need to understand that in doing so do not allow their kids to develop the skill needed to compete at the higher level. I know couple promising players mess up their potentials due to this. Parents, do your kids a favorite and research clubs' development track and see what best fit for your kids. If your kid is a U9, plan on being there until U12.

Comment

Rec for three years, same club now for her 4th. Considering, possibly, switching next year. At least leaving the door open, but it's something we would rather not do.
            I should add...I live in the same town I grew up in, been married for over 20 years, and been in this same company for 19.

I don't take change lightly....

Comment

Older child switched once. Was with small club from U12 & U13. Switched to big club at U14 and is still there at U17.

Younger child been with same big club U9 and still there at U13.

Comment

We aren't on our third club. First one was so bad we don't even count it, second one might have been worse and now we are finally content.

Comment

1. Have always thought it was more about the coach than the club. I wouldn't stay with a club that we love if the coach we'd get the next season is "bad."

2. You don't want to have the same coach too long (and bigger clubs typically rotate coaches every couple of years). But even beyond that, there can be stagnation staying with the same basic group of players year after year (particularly on the girls side where social roles tend to be more stringent). So even if the coaching and everything else is great, there can be benefits to be exposed to a new situation- no guarantees the new situation will work out perfectly, but isn't that life?

3. I saw others club-hop and thought poorly of them, particularly when they had to try to drag the whole team along with them, or when they seemed to be doing it because they thought their little superstar should only play striker and be on the field 100% of the game. But then with each of my kids when the time came to make a change, we did some homework to try to ensure the new situation (mostly the coach) would work well, and I'd say each change was a positive growth experience.

Comment

This is a good note re: coaches.

I know many who left this past year because they didn't like the coach. We happened to love him, but he was tough. He got the most out of my daughter, but she needs a competitive environment and needs to be pushed. Irony is that coach isn't coaching this year, so the reason why many left isn't valid any longer.

Conversely, we don't like the new coach, and I expect those who left would love him. Everyone else associated with the club we do like, so that is driving our hesitation to move. Like...he won't be coaching them in two years at most, so why move?

Logistics plays a factor, the only other good option for us is 30+ minutes away, vs. in our backyard.

Comment

Same maple club through U11 last year for D who loved it there. Switched to bigger NEP club this year at U13 this year due to birth year change. D still loves soccer, but doesn't like the girls on the new team or the coach. Price is a lot higher this year. Strongly considering switch to a different big NEP club or maybe back to town rec if its just a social activity.

Comment

I've heard similar comments about switching from Maple to NEP-based club. Some aren't ready for the competitive nature and it can be an eye-opener.

Haven't heard it first hand, but I can assume the same would be those who get into NPL, ECNL, DA etc. for some. The higher you go, the harder it is, and for some it's off-putting.

Comment

Two D's been in same club for 5+ years (there was 1 merger in there). Have thought about changing in the past but comfort level (for all of us) is an important factor.

Comment

I should add...I live in the same town I grew up in, been married for over 20 years, and been in this same company for 19.

I don't take change lightly....
                            'Who moved my Cheese'

Comment

I've heard similar comments about switching from Maple to NEP-based club. Some aren't ready for the competitive nature and it can be an eye-opener.

Haven't heard it first hand, but I can assume the same would be those who get into NPL, ECNL, DA etc. for some. The higher you go, the harder it is, and for some it's off-putting.
                              No more cartwheels at practice or skipping practice just because you want to want Netflix.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X