Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How tall do you need to be to play D1 women's college soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How tall do you need to be to play D1 women's college soccer?

Does heighth matter much to recruiters? My 16 year old is 5'2 and plays forward and defender. She thinks her heighth is hurting her recruiting efforts. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does heighth matter much to recruiters? My 16 year old is 5'2 and plays forward and defender. She thinks her heighth is hurting her recruiting efforts. Thoughts?
    Two questions:
    - How fast is she?
    -Where on D?

Fact of the matter is, most schools are looking for big kids to play on the back line. My D is in a similar boat. College coaches are concerned small girls won't be able to fend off aggressive strikers. For girls less than 5'5, they'll need to have outstanding speed or be very technical.

Northeastern has a small girl who plays center back, but she can run like the wind.

Good luck!

Comment

Two questions:
      - How fast is she?
      -Where on D?

Fact of the matter is, most schools are looking for big kids to play on the back line. My D is in a similar boat. College coaches are concerned small girls won't be able to fend off aggressive strikers. For girls less than 5'5, they'll need to have outstanding speed or be very technical.

Northeastern has a small girl who plays center back, but she can run like the wind.

Good luck!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8ftRFb2Ac

Comment

Good one!!! (Now that's stuck in my head!)

OP

Comment

Good one!!! (Now that's stuck in my head!)

OP
          I left it on in the background. I think Confucius or someone once said that it's impossible to send an angry post while listening to Christopher Cross. I may have found the solution to all the bickering on TS.

Comment

OP here. Plays outside back, occasionally cb. Muscular and above average speed. What about D2-3? We are just starting this process on our own. Thanks for the info.

Comment

OP here. Plays outside back, occasionally cb. Muscular and above average speed. What about D2-3? We are just starting this process on our own. Thanks for the info.
              If I may, I'd suggest
              1. start by looking at what schools she might be interested in attending (put soccer to the side for the moment)
              2. find out when they have ID clinics and have her attend them. She'll tell you where she fits when she's done.
              3. Have her get feedback from the coaches. Most D2-3 coaches will provide feedback. D1 much less likely unless they're interested.

Through this process you'll begin to get an idea of where she fits.

Good luck...

Comment

Yet another absolutely absurd thread, unless fictional, which also would be absurd.

16? Already too late, especially for D1. And there's no way if she's roughly in the ballpark for being legit recruited for D1 that you don't already know your answers and or already have received a ton of feedback directly or at least jndirectly.

What level of club team? Why still splitting time between forward and defense?

What's up with all the height threads? Someone trying to make a point about genetics? Size generally is an asset if other variables are in place, but, and we all know this without coming to TS to ask silly questions, there are always exceptions, and generally you know when you might have an exception. Ever heard of Isaiah Thomas?

Comment

Yet another absolutely absurd thread, unless fictional, which also would be absurd.

16? Already too late, especially for D1. And there's no way if she's roughly in the ballpark for being legit recruited for D1 that you don't already know your answers and or already have received a ton of feedback directly or at least jndirectly.

What level of club team? Why still splitting time between forward and defense?

What's up with all the height threads? Someone trying to make a point about genetics? Size generally is an asset if other variables are in place, but, and we all know this without coming to TS to ask silly questions, there are always exceptions, and generally you know when you might have an exception. Ever heard of Isaiah Thomas?
                  Bingo. Here is the likely agenda. The OP is a "personal trainer" selling their usual size doesn't matter, rather its really foot skills and creativity which I alone can help your daughter develop pitch. They are pandering to the desperate who by 16 have probably spent tens of thousands of dollars chasing a college scholarship and starting to realize that it isn't looking like one is on the horizon.

Comment

16 is not too late. Several lower D1 programs have spots to fill. Believe it or not, there are families who come here to ask questions who are not ECNL/ODP/GDA affiliated.

Comment

Some girls decide late they want to play in college. Why so mad, bro?

Comment

If I may, I'd suggest
                        1. start by looking at what schools she might be interested in attending (put soccer to the side for the moment)
                        2. find out when they have ID clinics and have her attend them. She'll tell you where she fits when she's done.
                        3. Have her get feedback from the coaches. Most D2-3 coaches will provide feedback. D1 much less likely unless they're interested.

Through this process you'll begin to get an idea of where she fits.

Good luck...
                        Would you have her write a letter before attending the clinics?

Comment

Yes. And follow up after.

Comment

Yes. If she is tall enough to reach the page.

Comment

Marta's 5'4"

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X