Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLS Player Development

That other thread about the Revs Academy was getting long in the tooth. A more useful read is learning about how other MLS clubs are building better pipelines. Then again, this is a "follow the money" sort of situation. Or rather, the lack of money (and commitment). Our local franchise is poorly managed. The Krafts won't ever have the interest of the vast majority of other MLS owners (can you imagine Tata instead of Heaps?).

Maybe at the White House Trump will introduce one of his Russian oligarch buddies to Kraft and who will make a mad money offer to take the Revs off his hands, build a stadium, spend all the TAM and plain old money for real designated player. Hey, it worked for Chelsea fans!

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...me-model-clubs

For Marsch, successfully bringing young players into the first team starts with having a distinct style of play that is instituted at every level, from the academy all the way through the first team. That helps establish an understanding of what's expected on the field. Then there are the different stages -- "platforms," Marsch calls them -- at which players prove themselves, be it the academy, Premier Development League, USL, or the first team.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That other thread about the Revs Academy was getting long in the tooth. A more useful read is learning about how other MLS clubs are building better pipelines. Then again, this is a "follow the money" sort of situation. Or rather, the lack of money (and commitment). Our local franchise is poorly managed. The Krafts won't ever have the interest of the vast majority of other MLS owners (can you imagine Tata instead of Heaps?).

Maybe at the White House Trump will introduce one of his Russian oligarch buddies to Kraft and who will make a mad money offer to take the Revs off his hands, build a stadium, spend all the TAM and plain old money for real designated player. Hey, it worked for Chelsea fans!

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...me-model-clubs

For Marsch, successfully bringing young players into the first team starts with having a distinct style of play that is instituted at every level, from the academy all the way through the first team. That helps establish an understanding of what's expected on the field. Then there are the different stages -- "platforms," Marsch calls them -- at which players prove themselves, be it the academy, Premier Development League, USL, or the first team.
    Trying...
    not to....
    make it...
    political...
    must...
    stop...
    but...
    can't...
    avoid it...
    have to...
    bring...
    politics into it....

Comment

Trying...
      not to....
      make it...
      political...
      must...
      stop...
      but...
      can't...
      avoid it...
      have to...
      bring...
      politics into it....
      Good article. It won't happen here, ever!!

Comment

For the life of me I can't find the article (it was on TDS or Soccerwire), but this winter there was an story where DA clubs were surveyed about how much they spent last year on DA. Only ten clubs responded. NY RedBulls was close to the top at about $4M while the Revs were at the bottom with $1M. Shocking I know ;). when I have more time i'll try one more time to find it.

Comment

For the life of me I can't find the article (it was on TDS or Soccerwire), but this winter there was an story where DA clubs were surveyed about how much they spent last year on DA. Only ten clubs responded. NY RedBulls was close to the top at about $4M while the Revs were at the bottom with $1M. Shocking I know ;). when I have more time i'll try one more time to find it.
          https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...emies_aid41352

Comment

Close but that wasn't it. It was a much shorter piece that mostly just listed spending by the ten clubs that responded.

Comment

Revs list is mighty short

https://www.socceramerica.com/articl...?edition=16836

Comment

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...eir-academies/

Comment

There was also a recent article on how they select few homegrown players on purpose to give them more playing time and 'it's working." You can see that philosophy trickles down to the academy where they focus on a few players in each age group. Yeah. Working, right. Dumbest approach ever with teenagers or even 12 year olds. Good luck.

Comment

BINGO! Thank you. Granted it's small sample size but you can see there's big differences and I suspect the Revs would fall to the bottom if more clubs gave information. Some clubs are ramping up their spending by starting residency programs too. Revs homegrown track records isn't exactly setting the soccer world on fire either

Comment

BINGO! Thank you. Granted it's small sample size but you can see there's big differences and I suspect the Revs would fall to the bottom if more clubs gave information. Some clubs are ramping up their spending by starting residency programs too. Revs homegrown track records isn't exactly setting the soccer world on fire either
                      What's clear is that the Revs have no idea how to develop young players through their academy and integrate them into their first team. If that is what academy players are hoping for when joining, they only need to take a quick look at the track record, which says it all. I think most academy players are aware of this and are just using Revs to improve their visibility for college scouts. Unfortunately, the longer the Revs neglect their academy, the more players are going to catch on that there is no real advantage to joining them over the non-MLS DA programs, or even good ISL programs, if getting into a good college is the goal.

Comment

What's clear is that the Revs have no idea how to develop young players through their academy and integrate them into their first team. If that is what academy players are hoping for when joining, they only need to take a quick look at the track record, which says it all. I think most academy players are aware of this and are just using Revs to improve their visibility for college scouts. Unfortunately, the longer the Revs neglect their academy, the more players are going to catch on that there is no real advantage to joining them over the non-MLS DA programs, or even good ISL programs, if getting into a good college is the goal.
                        I know it seems like it but everyone doesn't have private high school money. It is surprising how some posters keep mentioning this approach like it's free. I'll take your extra $$&

Comment

The Revs are a loss cause. You have an owner who sees the Revs as an entity there to fill the gap between the off season for the pats. Nothing more nothing less. His action and commitment is obvious. The organization is not structured to compete for MLS cup. As long as there are 12,000 to 15,000 there at patriot's place he could care less. If you are a DA player and you inspire to play pro someday the Revs will not be the ideal place for development.

Owner = awful
                          Management = lack vision
                          Coaches = lack professional experience
                          Overall the club lack style and ID

As a coach I won't even bother going to the Revs games unless it is a league or club sponsor event.

Comment

The Revs are a loss cause. You have an owner who sees the Revs as an entity there to fill the gap between the off season for the pats. Nothing more nothing less. His action and commitment is obvious. The organization is not structured to compete for MLS cup. As long as there are 12,000 to 15,000 there at patriot's place he could care less. If you are a DA player and you inspire to play pro someday the Revs will not be the ideal place for development.

Owner = awful
                            Management = lack vision
                            Coaches = lack professional experience
                            Overall the club lack style and ID

As a coach I won't even bother going to the Revs games unless it is a league or club sponsor event.
                            Why would a DA player care about ownership

1. Majority are looking at college
                            2. The lack of vision or opens opportunities for younger players

Comment

Mr. Kraft paid for my son to play soccer for 4 years and if I could have thanked him directly I would have. Obviously neither he or his son ever come near the academy teams and as most posters note, they would not pay for academy if they were not required to do so. Regardless, my son had many college options as a result of playing for the Revs. As parents we recognized that he would never be a home grown and that the program had flaws but the MLS clubs are still the best path to being recruited. All you have to do is attend one of the showcase events or the Gen Adidas Cup to see the college coaches searching out their next players. ISL and non MLS academy play will not result in this level of opportunity for recruitment. As long as your kid is playing reasonable minutes with the Revs, just deal with the "lack of development", "favoring of the chosen ones" , etc. At the end of the day, a good education from a great school will set up your son for a strong future.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X