Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tryout season

My daughter is at a stand still with her current team and coach. We don't feel the coach is doing a very good job developing players. My daughter is unhappy. We are considering making a move for next year but not sure what exactly to look for in a coach and team. Hard to gauge just by tryouts alone. We live in a small community so attending other team trainings during the spring would be difficult. My question is, what do we look for during tryouts? What questions should we ask the coach?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter is at a stand still with her current team and coach. We don't feel the coach is doing a very good job developing players. My daughter is unhappy. We are considering making a move for next year but not sure what exactly to look for in a coach and team. Hard to gauge just by tryouts alone. We live in a small community so attending other team trainings during the spring would be difficult. My question is, what do we look for during tryouts? What questions should we ask the coach?
    Don't wait for tryouts. Ask for her to attend practices at other clubs now. Cattle call tryouts are a poor way for clubs to assess talent and for parents to assess clubs and coaches. If you're serious about moving take the process seriously. If you're worried about distance better to know now when it's crazy time in the spring

Comment

DEFINITELY do not wait until tryouts. You need to get her to a few practices beforehand so she can get a feel for the team, coaching style, and team dynamics. It also gives her a leg-up come tryouts, where it can sometimes be harder to stand out. If possible try and watch a few teams play in advance to get an understanding of their style of play and how the coach interacts during the game.

Comment

OP here. Ok. I will bring her to check out some of the other teams practice sessions, but still don't know what we are supposed to be looking for as far as team dynamics, style of play, and most importantly, competence of the coach. This is where we need some direction. I have 2 older sons who played baseball so this is all foreign to me.

Comment

Try to watch a game or two of the teams you are interested in. I think that would be a better way to understand style of play, team dynamics etc... than watching a practice.

I would still definitely take her to a practice, or even a school vacation camp or skills training, just so they can see your daughter and get to know her. As others have said, it would be almost impossible to impress at tryouts, especially for the bigger clubs, without them knowing your daughter in advance.

Comment

Avoid any club that plays in the Northeast soccer league as it is mostly rec level teams. You would be better off playing for your local rec team and at fraction of the cost.

Look for a solid coach and team who play in the NEP league.

Comment

OP here. Ok. I will bring her to check out some of the other teams practice sessions, but still don't know what we are supposed to be looking for as far as team dynamics, style of play, and most importantly, competence of the coach. This is where we need some direction. I have 2 older sons who played baseball so this is all foreign to me.
              Is the coach organized and prepared, wasting no training time, with the players focused? Pay attention to body language. Does the training engage the players in activity, demanding of effort by committed players, getting plenty of touches on the ball at the beginning of practice and letting them pay the game for a substantial portion by the end (or is there a lot of standing and watching, to the point that the quality and pace of training suffers)? Lastly, is your child too good, not good enough or just right-- if you're coming into a new team and the team is a level below your kid, but the club would love to cash your check, you need to avoid that if you care about development. Ideally you see your kid as middle of the pack, so they'll be challenged and playing time won't be an issue.

Comment

Avoid any club that plays in the Northeast soccer league as it is mostly rec level teams. You would be better off playing for your local rec team and at fraction of the cost.

Look for a solid coach and team who play in the NEP league.
                This isn't true nor is it good advice.

My son moved from a big club NEP team to an NSL (formerly Maple) team. His new team beat his old team in a tournament 6-0.

That aside, his coach is a far better coach and my son has improved tremendously. And we pay half of what we were paying before.

There are good and bad teams, and good and bad coaches in EVERY league.

To the OP, you need to determine what type of player your daughter is and what she needs. Is she quiet/shy, or is she aggressive? Will she stand up for herself or does she need help advocating? Will a screaming coach (and there are many) bring her to tears? How old is she?

Many clubs/coaches coach to win. This means kids don't always get as much development as they could.

I'm all for technical skills through U14. Lots of footwork and small sided games. A coach in the middle of practice watching and coaching. A coach who is firm, but positive. Who emphasizes what players do right rather than yell at players for their mistakes.

What I would suggest is 1. Look at club websites and their philosophies. If they say growth and development, that's promising. If they say, we've won xyz there is a good chance they only care about winning. 2. Go watch clubs/teams that you are interested in play. Does the coach scream all game? Do all the kids get meaningful playtime? 3. Watch a practice. Is the coach engaged or talking to parents or on his phone?

The advice to attend practices is a good one. But it's to get your daughter noticed/seen. Don't do that until you've narrowed down which clubs/teams you are looking at.

There is a lot of cool aid drinking in the club soccer world. If you really want your daughter to grow and develop, you have to find the right team and coach.

Comment

This isn't true nor is it good advice.

My son moved from a big club NEP team to an NSL (formerly Maple) team. His new team beat his old team in a tournament 6-0.

That aside, his coach is a far better coach and my son has improved tremendously. And we pay half of what we were paying before.

There are good and bad teams, and good and bad coaches in EVERY league.

To the OP, you need to determine what type of player your daughter is and what she needs. Is she quiet/shy, or is she aggressive? Will she stand up for herself or does she need help advocating? Will a screaming coach (and there are many) bring her to tears? How old is she?

Many clubs/coaches coach to win. This means kids don't always get as much development as they could.

I'm all for technical skills through U14. Lots of footwork and small sided games. A coach in the middle of practice watching and coaching. A coach who is firm, but positive. Who emphasizes what players do right rather than yell at players for their mistakes.

What I would suggest is 1. Look at club websites and their philosophies. If they say growth and development, that's promising. If they say, we've won xyz there is a good chance they only care about winning. 2. Go watch clubs/teams that you are interested in play. Does the coach scream all game? Do all the kids get meaningful playtime? 3. Watch a practice. Is the coach engaged or talking to parents or on his phone?

The advice to attend practices is a good one. But it's to get your daughter noticed/seen. Don't do that until you've narrowed down which clubs/teams you are looking at.

There is a lot of cool aid drinking in the club soccer world. If you really want your daughter to grow and develop, you have to find the right team and coach.
                  I agree with most of what you said. We also went from a big club to a smaller one in NSL, couldn't be happier. The coach is great, parents and kids are wonderful too. And we also routinely beat NEP teams in tournaments as well. Good and bad clubs in every league. But I wouldn't bother judging by the websites, most of them say "development, good environment, etc..". Attending a game or practice would be a good way to see how the coach and team interact.

Comment

If you take her to practices, watch to see if a) keeps up b) is better than most out there c) is struggling. Ask the coach for honest feedback. Consider what level she is at now - target equal or too or slightly stronger but don't overshoot. You want her at a place she'll be challenged and pushed but not struggling. As far as the coach goes is he a screamer? Is he actively engaged? Does he joke with them now an then/ Do the players look miserable. (this should be observed at games as well although at a game a coach shouldn't be barking out orders all the time).

Also when you're hanging out try and chat up other parents to get inside info on the club, coaches etc. Basically are they happy with their kids' development? Try and catch a glimpse of other coaches because the one you meet may not be the one you get next year. If a club has a good stable of coaches great, but if they only have a few good ones that could be an issue.

Comment

Ask around for recommendations, especially families who have somewhat older kids who have been through the gauntlet already. Usually you can find a few overly involved dads who are willing to share their knowledge with you.

Comment

I agree with most of what you said. We also went from a big club to a smaller one in NSL, couldn't be happier. The coach is great, parents and kids are wonderful too. And we also routinely beat NEP teams in tournaments as well. Good and bad clubs in every league. But I wouldn't bother judging by the websites, most of them say "development, good environment, etc..". Attending a game or practice would be a good way to see how the coach and team interact.
                        It all depends on your child's level of skill. If a top talent, go to NEP clubs. More options and usually better facilities. Top two teams in NSL are usually pretty good, but below that dreadful. NEP is good if you're playing in top two divisions. Below that not much different than NSL teams. As with any team, the coach makes the team. Look at the kids faces. Are they happy and enjoying the practice? Are the enjoying the coach? Look to see if the coach actually played....you would be surprised to find out some coaches never played. Usually pretty easy to tell after a few minutes of watching.

My son currently plays DAP. While in club soccer we left a team for a new team. He went to many practices before the try-outs. Only real way to gage the team/coach and players over multiple sessions. Try-outs are beyond useless. Too many players all trying to make an impression and your child regardless of ability is hidden in the mass of kids. A good coach will welcome any possible new player to any practice session. It's a win-win to for everyone when doing so. Basically if you spend the time searching for the right fit, your child will benefit. If you just go to a tryout you're rolling the dice.

You are the one paying for your child's soccer. You are under no obligation to stay loyal to a club. Club soccer is not cheap. If you are not getting your money worth, find a different team and club.

Comment

It all depends on your child's level of skill. If a top talent, go to NEP clubs. More options and usually better facilities. Top two teams in NSL are usually pretty good, but below that dreadful. NEP is good if you're playing in top two divisions. Below that not much different than NSL teams. As with any team, the coach makes the team. Look at the kids faces. Are they happy and enjoying the practice? Are the enjoying the coach? Look to see if the coach actually played....you would be surprised to find out some coaches never played. Usually pretty easy to tell after a few minutes of watching.

My son currently plays DAP. While in club soccer we left a team for a new team. He went to many practices before the try-outs. Only real way to gage the team/coach and players over multiple sessions. Try-outs are beyond useless. Too many players all trying to make an impression and your child regardless of ability is hidden in the mass of kids. A good coach will welcome any possible new player to any practice session. It's a win-win to for everyone when doing so. Basically if you spend the time searching for the right fit, your child will benefit. If you just go to a tryout you're rolling the dice.

You are the one paying for your child's soccer. You are under no obligation to stay loyal to a club. Club soccer is not cheap. If you are not getting your money worth, find a different team and club.
                          Freedom of Movement shouldnt be a bad thing?

Comment

I disagree. How can a club or coach do that without developing the team? That's like a NASCAR team trying to be a winning team without improving the racecar. I get so tired of the assumption that a focus on wins means ignoring development. It's a bogus assumption. Teams that win consistently do so by developing players who have the skills and intelligence to win. Simple as that.

Comment

I disagree. How can a club or coach do that without developing the team? That's like a NASCAR team trying to be a winning team without improving the racecar. I get so tired of the assumption that a focus on wins means ignoring development. It's a bogus assumption. Teams that win consistently do so by developing players who have the skills and intelligence to win. Simple as that.
                              Not always. Some get the fastest kid they can find, have goalies learn to punt to half-field and let them run onto it. Same kid couldn't dribble his way out of a paper bag if it was soaking wet. When that kid slows down, or everyone catches up, they are ill-prepared for the game.

If I wanted to play fetch, I'd get a dog.

Or, some teams bring down ringers to play in tourneys to get medals. Some go into lower leagues just to win. It happens, far too often.

Yes, overall, better teams have developed players, but "simple as that" is way more complicated than you imagine.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X