Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017/18 Tryouts

The fact that there are 2017/18 youth soccer tryouts happening in the first week of April is baffling & unethical. Race to the bottom.

Teams could be completely ripped apart before Spring even starts. Rumors, parents, players all talking and destroying chemistry. Brutal.

Wait until Spring is over. Let teams and coaches do their job and have fun. Hat tip to @NEPremiership for mandating this.

Retweeted by NEP today

https://twitter.com/PeteJMcD

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The fact that there are 2017/18 youth soccer tryouts happening in the first week of April is baffling & unethical. Race to the bottom.

Teams could be completely ripped apart before Spring even starts. Rumors, parents, players all talking and destroying chemistry. Brutal.

Wait until Spring is over. Let teams and coaches do their job and have fun. Hat tip to @NEPremiership for mandating this.

Retweeted by NEP today

Who is having tryouts?

Comment

Retweeted by NEP today

It's all about capturing talent. Can't stop it - it's a business. I agree it's not in the best interest of players and teams, but that matters little to clubs

Comment

Who is having tryouts?
        yeah, who Pete? Is it a Maine thing?

Comment

yeah, who Pete? Is it a Maine thing?
          Not sure. Saw the retweet from NEP and thought it would be like raw meat for the wolves on here

Comment

Who is having tryouts?
            Could he be referring to the Revs U12 Alliance ID Clinics this month? I could see someone categorizing those as tryouts if they had an axe to grind.

Comment

Could he be referring to the Revs U12 Alliance ID Clinics this month? I could see someone categorizing those as tryouts if they had an axe to grind.
              Grind away

Comment

How could teams be ripped apart now? Don't people sign a contract for the whole year? Fall and spring?

Comment

How could teams be ripped apart now? Don't people sign a contract for the whole year? Fall and spring?
                  They won't be in terms of players actually playing until the end of the spring season. But what can and often does happen is if word gets out players x,y and z were spotted trying out for another club or even got offers/will be leaving next fall then panic can start to set in among parents. Now they think "oh no the team may fall apart. I better get them tryouts at another club" or "well maybe my kid would be better off elsewhere too." Everyone starts treating each other differently. If the coach or club gets word they may start giving less PT/putting not effort into the kids they think aren't staying. It can get ugly - been there

Comment

They won't be in terms of players actually playing until the end of the spring season. But what can and often does happen is if word gets out players x,y and z were spotted trying out for another club or even got offers/will be leaving next fall then panic can start to set in among parents. Now they think "oh no the team may fall apart. I better get them tryouts at another club" or "well maybe my kid would be better off elsewhere too." Everyone starts treating each other differently. If the coach or club gets word they may start giving less PT/putting not effort into the kids they think aren't staying. It can get ugly - been there
                    Oh I see. I have heard that 1 of our team members father wants her to try out for other clubs in June. It's disappointing but what can you do?

Comment

Oh I see. I have heard that 1 of our team members father wants her to try out for other clubs in June. It's disappointing but what can you do?
                      If you know of at least one then there are more. Most will keep it very close to the vest until it's official they're leaving (or they get spotted at another club's tryouts).

Comment

If you know of at least one then there are more. Most will keep it very close to the vest until it's official they're leaving (or they get spotted at another club's tryouts).
                        ^^^^ and you usually find out when it's too late and the team has lost its best four players

Comment

^^^^ and you usually find out when it's too late and the team has lost its best four players
                          That's OK with me. Mine is not a top level player so we are staying regardless.

Comment

That's OK with me. Mine is not a top level player so we are staying regardless.
                            Always good to have a backup plan. Sometimes it doesn't take much for an entire team to unravel.

Comment

bumping

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X