Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer Similarities

Was just reading this article in todays NYTimes about the youth baseball circuit and was reminded of all the similarities to youth soccer lately - the quest for college scholarships has overtaken the fundamentals of the sport. Players and their parents training for things that get recruiters attention like hitting homers or crazy fast pitching, but they can barely catch the ball; over use injuries; college showcase events etc. I know that for my own kids it was a struggle to find clubs that did focus on fundamentals at an early age. But in our case I used to play in college (and adult leagues until the knees finally gave way) so I had some clue what to look for and could work with my kids in the yard. So many parents never played, don't know good coaching from bad, club hop when their kid doesn't make the A team or get enough playing time. Then the craziness of the HS showcase years. Personally I don't see DA fixing any of it, even with the move down to U12. The system doesn't work at the earliest ages where kids are taught mostly by well meaning but fairly clueless volunteer coaches. I still love the sport and follow it passionately, but I don't see things improving in the US any time soon.

Anyway, JMHO on a lazy Sunday morning...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/s...e=sectionfront
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
Working...
X