X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birth year change good or bad?

Hearing a lot of bad on this change.

yes it sucks... but no one posts on here so unless you know of another NJ website your not gonna get much feed back here

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      yes it sucks... but no one posts on here so unless you know of another NJ website your not gonna get much feed back here
      Check out BOTN or discussions on FL, MA or CT

Comment

Lots of NJ parents blog on youthsoccertalk.com

There is a new blog - http://njtravelsoccerblog.com

I see nothing wrong with the change. No one is forcing a team to change. A lot clubs will allow players to play up. If a player played on a competitive team then most likely that coach would have cut perceived weaker players to bring on stronger players. Nothing different from previous years.

I can see some parents all up in arms over being competitive if they keep team as is.. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Those same parents didn't complain last year when their childs best friend on the team was cut. It was ok to cut players last year but not ok this year?

Regarding the school year and playing with kids in your grade.. How many teams are out there are made up of players from the same school and same grade. I know of none.

Comment

Lots of NJ parents blog on youthsoccertalk.com

There is a new blog - http://njtravelsoccerblog.com

I see nothing wrong with the change. No one is forcing a team to change. A lot clubs will allow players to play up. If a player played on a competitive team then most likely that coach would have cut perceived weaker players to bring on stronger players. Nothing different from previous years.

I can see some parents all up in arms over being competitive if they keep team as is.. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Those same parents didn't complain last year when their childs best friend on the team was cut. It was ok to cut players last year but not ok this year?

Regarding the school year and playing with kids in your grade.. How many teams are out there are made up of players from the same school and same grade. I know of none.
          The only legit gripe in my eyes regards kids with fall birthdays - as 8th graders many of their teammates will be in HS playing hs soccer part of the year. Same as seniors only then their teammates will have graduated. That said most leagues seem to be creating u18/u19 teams to accomodate the older kids and clubs are working on options for the 8th graders. It's 2.5 months and then teams will be back together.

Any complaints about lost friendships or lost player interest are really unfounded fears. If the kids want to play they'll keep playing. They'll make new friends. Kids are much more resilient then parents think. It's more about parents worrying their kid might lose an advantage or will face a bigger challenge they might not be able to meet.

Comment

Agreed. The birth year change is good for the game. It does however cause a lot of uneeded stresses with teams breaking apart and kids being left to 'miss' a year out of soccer.

Personally I think this could have been grandfathered in with new U8's.

Comment

The only legit gripe in my eyes regards kids with fall birthdays - as 8th graders many of their teammates will be in HS playing hs soccer part of the year. Same as seniors only then their teammates will have graduated. That said most leagues seem to be creating u18/u19 teams to accomodate the older kids and clubs are working on options for the 8th graders. It's 2.5 months and then teams will be back together.

Any complaints about lost friendships or lost player interest are really unfounded fears. If the kids want to play they'll keep playing. They'll make new friends. Kids are much more resilient then parents think. It's more about parents worrying their kid might lose an advantage or will face a bigger challenge they might not be able to meet.

I think the biggest problem is that there is change.... and human nature is not good with change in general. Yes kids are resilient but now there are a lot of unknowns and fears the PARENTS have not necessarily the kids. Kids will make new friends and this time next year there won't be as much stress

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X