Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know that you are a soccer parent when...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know that you are a soccer parent when...

This is an old thread, sort of a combined thread from the Florida and Georgia forums. It dates back a few years, and has been revisited on BOTH forums several times, also ended up on Bigsoccer.com and other sites. Thought it might entertain some of you that are new. Feel free to add your insights...

Keep towels, newspapers, Febreeze, lawn chairs, umbrellas, water jugs in the trunk of ALL of your cars

Go to sell your car, the soccer ball magnet peels off the paint

Your friend gets in your car and almost passes out from the smell of rotted flesh (oh wait, that is your kids keeper gloves) and you didn't even notice it

When you give directions, you use soccer fields for landmarks (forget the Big Chicken)

Drive 80 miles for practice and think nothing of it.

Get upset because the teachers give assignments on practice nights. WHAT are they thinking?

FINALLY understand off-side (well, close anyway)

When asked your children’s ages, you refer to them as U-10, u-15 & U-16

Can spend $1200 on a trip to San Diego for a tournament and don't even see the ocean...

All your clothes are the colors of your club! Don't even think about changing clubs...I'll have nothing to wear!

If you know what the heck these are: Umbro, Copa Mundial, Fingersave, unlucky, 3-4-3,AR, finish, JD, nutmeg, Kelme, Underkombat, Zidane, square ball, recycle, Cruyff, Stanley Matthews, WAGS, first time, wall pass, overlap, open up, Rivalino, Coervers, All Ball!!!!! (usually screamed, several times)

You read this forum and know the website of forums in other states.

Your "favorite places" are all soccer related

You are able to sleep in a hotel room with 12 teenage boys all playing FIFA.

You think soccer shorts are nicer and better looking than regular shorts.

Other parents ask you rules related questions on the field, (how dumb are they?)

Instead of buying newspaper to read it...You get it to stuff your child's $120 cleats...

You are up, driving to a game on a Saturday morning, it is raining and Starbucks isn't even open yet.

You have made no plans for any Labor Day or Memorial Day weekend, for years!

Your kid knows where places are by pointing out landmarks such as the Roswell soccer fields, Lightning fields, "that place where I got yellow carded", the fields we played on when it rained, etc.....

You make your soccer trips into "family" vacations

You actually plan your pregnancies around the fall and spring seasons [this requires a very accurate “shooter”.]

You work your daughter's wedding in around your son's soccer tournaments.

Your child accidentally falls down the stairs and the first thing you think about is "will he have to sit out because of this"

Your player holds up a yellow card when you and your spouse are arguing.

Six of your players get stuck in the elevator and your first thought is, "Do we still have enough kids for the morning game?"

You mourn your child's last year in high school because it will all be over and you KNOW it was the best thing to happen to you and your kid.

Number 20- Mandatory Parent meeting at the hotel pool sometimes lasting till 2 A.M.

Number 19- Knowing all the locations of the nearest Subway to every soccer field in the State.

Number 18- You think you've got a night off, only to get a phone call that practice has been changed.

Number 17- You're the only person at your office who can actually explain the offside rule.

Number 15- You have an excuse not to garden or clean house. Anyway, who cares? You're never at home to see what you didn't do.

Number 14- You don't have to entertain in your home (you're never there, remember?)

Number 12 - You're ready for anything -- you have every size soccer ball ever invented in your garage.

Number 10: Being a chauffeur is actually a reasonable alternate career choice.

Number 8: Unless you've had a soccer ball bounce off your hotel room door at 1 AM, how else are you going to appreciate the peace and comfort of your own bed?

Number 6: Being scolded by a 15-year-old linesman is great preparation for being the eventual father of a teenager.

Number 5: It only hurts a little to be walking around in dilapidated loafers from Pak N Pay while your kid struts around in $80 adidas.

Number 4: I don't think you can have the lyrics of every Backstreet Boy and N*SYNC album memorized too well.

Number 3: There's really no better way to field test winter clothing than to stand in 'sideways rain' for two hours.

Number 2: It's very possible that all those soccer trophies will become the Beanie Babies of the 2030's.

And the Number 1: You're supposed to be at work at 9:00 A.M., but at 9:45 you're still at home reading the forum

I would not change this life style for the world. Love every minute of it!!!!!

Comment

Actually your comment should be at the bottom and the top of this list, so true.

One more comment that I remembered from that long ago thread, was, "When I pass a car and see a soccer decal. I wonder if I know them".

BTW, I hope that you do not think that I am too obtrusive here, (but, since there are posters on this forum), I will bring over what I find is interesting from other forums on this board and other soccer sites. If you want me to shove off, and stay in Mass and Florida, fine, but just thought you might like different articles that I found interesting on other sites. Mostly the thing that I post are about the USMNT and funny posts that I comb from other sites and archives one from this one. Also the Georgia forum that I get some things from, is not the Georgia forum on my board, but the www.network54.com/forum/171923 It is a great site for those interested in Georgia soccer. It has nothing to do with talking-soccer.
      Last edited by thebes20; 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM.

Comment

you know you're a soccer parent when..

.. you obsessively figure out the standings for your kids team in OCTOBER..

If so-and-so beats so-and-so and this planet aligns with that planet, then with y number of league games left, then team x has a chance to win the mythical "halfway-through-a-split season-title" that means... nothing?

Comment

Funny thread

Comment

You watch a game not involving your kid in between your kid's games at a tournament. And you know half the kids and half the parents in both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              You watch a game not involving your kid in between your kid's games at a tournament. And you know half the kids and half the parents in both teams.
              On TS that makes you the "creepy stalker dude" :)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X