Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance clubs will care about keepers in 2015?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance clubs will care about keepers in 2015?

What am I paying for at my club? My child is a full time keeper. I pay what everyone else pays so my child can play. There is no keeper curriculum. There is minimal training for keepers. I pay additional out of pocket for private keeper coaching.

At this point I'm beginning to think I'd be better off just paying for the private training and letting my child play for some crappy cheap team. I'm sure a crappy team would have a crappy defense so my child would see a lot of shots.

Why don't clubs take the time to train the one child on the field that can use their hands and keep balls out of the net? You don't get any points if you can't keep the ball out of the net.

My New Years resolution is to find a club that cares about keepers and move my child there, or go the crappy team route.

As the parent of a fellow keeper I can tell you that you absolutely need to find a club that has weekly keeper training included in the fees. Unfortunately, those are usually the bigger clubs. My son played for a smaller one for two years before I got as frustrated as you are right now. Great people. Good coaches. Loved the club. But for my own son's development he needed to be somewhere where he could get the training he needed WITHOUT me paying that much extra for it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What am I paying for at my club? My child is a full time keeper. I pay what everyone else pays so my child can play. There is no keeper curriculum. There is minimal training for keepers. I pay additional out of pocket for private keeper coaching.

At this point I'm beginning to think I'd be better off just paying for the private training and letting my child play for some crappy cheap team. I'm sure a crappy team would have a crappy defense so my child would see a lot of shots.

Why don't clubs take the time to train the one child on the field that can use their hands and keep balls out of the net? You don't get any points if you can't keep the ball out of the net.

My New Years resolution is to find a club that cares about keepers and move my child there, or go the crappy team route.
      Have your son tryout for ODP or do Revs weekly RDS training. Both programs offer about the same in training .
      The GK training from ODP is second to none. The coaches specialize in GK training , the session address individual needs and they are always incorporated into a team environment.

Comment

As the parent of a fellow keeper I can tell you that you absolutely need to find a club that has weekly keeper training included in the fees. Unfortunately, those are usually the bigger clubs. My son played for a smaller one for two years before I got as frustrated as you are right now. Great people. Good coaches. Loved the club. But for my own son's development he needed to be somewhere where he could get the training he needed WITHOUT me paying that much extra for it. Good luck.
        No one cares about keepers. If your kid can't play in the field then you throw them in net. The best keepers in the world don't go in net until u16. There is not such thing as "keeper training" , you are such a joke. Any half descent basketball player would take your kids spot in a heart beat. Be happy they allow your kid to be on the field.

Comment

No one cares about keepers. If your kid can't play in the field then you throw them in net. The best keepers in the world don't go in net until u16. There is not such thing as "keeper training" , you are such a joke. Any half descent basketball player would take your kids spot in a heart beat. Be happy they allow your kid to be on the field.

Comment

Nice post Dbag.

Comment

Similar with my two keepers during their careers (one now playing in college, the other in HS still) - had to move them to clubs that do care about keepers and have qualified staff to train them. Meant driving further but we went for the training. Private training is good and serves a purpose but a keeper also needs game experience, reading the field, etc.

Unlike the douche above who thinks no one cares about GK and any goon can do it, good clubs know they are vital and dedicate resources to it. Hence ODP or any academy team having GK specific training. Hell even most HS teams have GK training. My advice to the OP is run, not walk, to a club that cares.

Comment

GK training not important? Watch some of the collisions that start around u12--keepers w/ no idea how to protect themselves, kids with the size and strength to hurt them. Any club that puts a kid in goal w/o some level of training is irresponsible.

Comment

Nice post Dbag.
                  Never mind that he is wrong. He's just one of those really really stupid club coaches that create the problem in the first place. Have no idea what the keeper position is all about and even less ability to develop it. Run away from these types as fast as you can.

Comment

Never mind that he is wrong. He's just one of those really really stupid club coaches that create the problem in the first place. Have no idea what the keeper position is all about and even less ability to develop it. Run away from these types as fast as you can.
                    That or he doesn't like that a roster spot for his kid is being taken by a GK

Comment

We all know this guy. He's usually yelling something stoopid from the sidelines that completely exposes him as a knuckle-dragger. Keep screaming "boot it" Mr. Flintstone.

Comment

Posts #1 and #2 are companions. How wildly, randomly coincidental we get this thread on NYE as a new resolution involving GKs, value (and lack thereof) of being a GK with (particular?) clubs, having to spend for extra, private training, and an open suggestion to leave your club.

Comment

Posts #1 and #2 are companions. How wildly, randomly coincidental we get this thread on NYE as a new resolution involving GKs, value (and lack thereof) of being a GK with (particular?) clubs, having to spend for extra, private training, and an open suggestion to leave your club.
                          No, you are absolutely correct. The clubs do way too much for their keepers as it is. Dammit they pay the same as every other kid on the roster and get way too much for their money.

Comment

Take better care of your keepers and you won't need to cower in the fetal position typing conspiracy theory posts on TS.

Comment

No chance

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X