Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 touch

Just had the pleasure of a morning of EPL viewing and one thing is crystal clear-the game is played with 2 touches the vast majority of the time.
    Is there an argument to be made that development of youth players should be focused on passing and receiving and movement off the ball only? Should dribbling be banned? I know the purists are going to be upset, but dribbling, other than into open space, is rarely utilized at the professional level.
    I also know, that despite what has been posted in other threads regarding the dribbling ballhog, the only folk who enjoy watching that is the dribbler's parents.
    Many coaches have also been villified over their supposed lack of pure technical training as they gear training and play towards a limited touch, pass and move approach.
    What say you, you well-versed, soccer brilliant, and savvy talking-soccer denizens?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just had the pleasure of a morning of EPL viewing and one thing is crystal clear-the game is played with 2 touches the vast majority of the time.
    Is there an argument to be made that development of youth players should be focused on passing and receiving and movement off the ball only? Should dribbling be banned? I know the purists are going to be upset, but dribbling, other than into open space, is rarely utilized at the professional level.
    I also know, that despite what has been posted in other threads regarding the dribbling ballhog, the only folk who enjoy watching that is the dribbler's parents.
    Many coaches have also been villified over their supposed lack of pure technical training as they gear training and play towards a limited touch, pass and move approach.
    What say you, you well-versed, soccer brilliant, and savvy talking-soccer denizens?
    I say you never played soccer let alone a sport

Comment

While I generally agree with your point, I would guess that, within the great majority of sequences that result in a goal or a good shot on net, someone had to make a critical dribble around one or two players before delivering their pass or shot. The key word there is 'critical', meaning that, although you don't have to be Leo Messi, dribbling will always be a vital skill that should be possessed by all serious players.

Comment

It is also crystal clear that the game is played with running without the ball the vast majority of the time. Is there an argument to be made the development of youth players should be focused on running without the ball only? Should touching the ball be banned?

I would say that you are basically an idiot. Sorry, the truth hurts.

Comment

It is also crystal clear that the game is played with running without the ball the vast majority of the time. Is there an argument to be made the development of youth players should be focused on running without the ball only? Should touching the ball be banned?

Tough crowd.

Comment

Tough crowd.
            soccer is basically track, with the ball occasionally getting in the way of the runners' feet.

Comment

Are you blind?
              You must not "see" the game. How many players will run at and creatively dribble past a defender in Man Utd v Liverpool match tomorrow? Maybe Sterling. Rooney hasn't dribbled in years, except on the grandmother's thigh. How many Chelsea players dribbled 2 men and then scored in the Hull City match. None. Did any of Arsenal's goals come from dribblers? No.
              Receiving, or for the less educated, trapping, and then taking a good first touch are the only true skills needed. If you cannot receive the ball, you CANNOT play.
              Nowhere in the original post did it recommend not using a ball, so reading comprehension is an issue, but that may be due to your blindness
              While name calling is all well and good, it certainly implies a less than solid belief in your own
              premise.
              Watch the matches tomorrow, count who touches the ball 3 or more times while they dribble and then lose the ball to a defender and get back to me.

Cheers

Comment

While I generally agree with your point, I would guess that, within the great majority of sequences that result in a goal or a good shot on net, someone had to make a critical dribble around one or two players before delivering their pass or shot. The key word there is 'critical', meaning that, although you don't have to be Leo Messi, dribbling will always be a vital skill that should be possessed by all serious players.
                No guessing necessary. Black and white-2 Touch.

Comment

No guessing necessary. Black and white-2 Touch.
                  Guess again. Who should we believe, you or our lying eyes?
                  I watched the first 10 goals in this youtube video of 100 top goals in 2013. Dribbling is critical in at least 6 of the first 10. I'm sure the trend continues for the rest of the goals in this video as well as soccer in general.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2KaSK7Wspw

Comment

I watched the first 10 goals in this youtube video of 100 top goals in 2013. Dribbling is critical in at least 6 of the first 10. I'm sure the trend continues for the rest of the goals in this video as well as soccer in general.
                    You are completely wrong. Other than Hazard's dribbling for Torres' goal and Torres 1 touches fir the goal, btw, the maximum number of touches leading to the shot that scored is 3.
                    What is your definition of dribbling?

Comment

You are completely wrong. Other than Hazard's dribbling for Torres' goal and Torres 1 touches fir the goal, btw, the maximum number of touches leading to the shot that scored is 3.
                      The total time the ball is at a player's feet is very limited over the span of 90 minutes. You can't play one and two touch balls effectively if you haven't mastered the ball. You can't dribble it either. What you will find is that the best at the professional level have a mastery of the ball you wouldn't expect, and during a game play what is most advantageous to win the game (score) which most of the time is not dribbling the world. It may be to beat an individual defender and to play the early cross, into space, switch etc. It is not for the most part, dribbling from your own half all the way down to take a shot. Those are rare because it is simply too hard to keep a ball at that level which is why drill like rondo using one touch are used so frequently.

Once you get to the youth level, however, you can say what you want. There are so many variables related to growth spurts, size, physicality, etc. It isn't normalized like it is obviously when adults play. I would say however, that I for one believe that both individual ball mastery as well as tactical awareness need to be stressed together and at earlier ages than what I currently see going on. My 2 cents. Bash away.

Comment

Soccer? Oh, now I see. I thought you were talking about basketball. Of course dribbling is not important in soccer. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Nonsense begets more nonsense.

Comment

Soccer? Oh, now I see. I thought you were talking about basketball. Of course dribbling is not important in soccer. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Nonsense begets more nonsense.
                          The irony and ignorance on display regularly on T/S is priceless.
                          There are innumerable threads devoted to the bashing of coaches and programs that play kick and run and almost as many that regale the exploits of the dribbling ballhogs (parents at work on those, I presume).
                          There are an equal number that postulate on the beauty of the game, but lack true understanding of how that is acheived.
                          One thing is for certain and it matters not one whit at what level it is witnessed: the loudest cheers are for any team that possess and passes a ball around the pitch. More muted response is displayed for the kick and runs and even less for the dribblers.
                          The game is played with limited touches, not over dribbling. There is a difference between touches into space, perhaps 2 or 3, and a dribble which generally results in a loss of possession while trying to beat 1 or more defenders.
                          Dribbling is an overrated show-off skill promoted by ignorant non-watchers of the game.
                          Good touches and a push of a ball away from pressure are far more important to putting the ball in the back of the net.
                          Let me put this in terms that a basketball dad can understand-if your son is the point guard, you are pleased when he dribbles the court and scores, regardless of whether or not he involves his teammates. If your son is the center and never receives the ball from said point guard, then point guard is a ballhog (dribbler). What is apparent at a high level of basketball is that the ball never touches the floor as a fast break develops. As play breaks down, more dribbles are needed and loss of possession becomes a factor. The game moves faster and more beautifully with less dribbling. In fact, many big men are told to not put the ball on the floor, but the great ones sure can pass the ball. John Stockton never dribbled anybody. Same
                          in soccer.
                          Dribbling should be the option of last resort in any sport.

Comment

You're sure, huh? By definition, the top 100 of anything is not a representative sample, so you can't draw any valid inferences from the top 100 that would apply to the population as a whole.

Comment

The irony and ignorance on display regularly on T/S is priceless.
                              There are innumerable threads devoted to the bashing of coaches and programs that play kick and run and almost as many that regale the exploits of the dribbling ballhogs (parents at work on those, I presume).
                              There are an equal number that postulate on the beauty of the game, but lack true understanding of how that is acheived.
                              One thing is for certain and it matters not one whit at what level it is witnessed: the loudest cheers are for any team that possess and passes a ball around the pitch. More muted response is displayed for the kick and runs and even less for the dribblers.
                              The game is played with limited touches, not over dribbling. There is a difference between touches into space, perhaps 2 or 3, and a dribble which generally results in a loss of possession while trying to beat 1 or more defenders.
                              Dribbling is an overrated show-off skill promoted by ignorant non-watchers of the game.
                              Good touches and a push of a ball away from pressure are far more important to putting the ball in the back of the net.
                              Let me put this in terms that a basketball dad can understand-if your son is the point guard, you are pleased when he dribbles the court and scores, regardless of whether or not he involves his teammates. If your son is the center and never receives the ball from said point guard, then point guard is a ballhog (dribbler). What is apparent at a high level of basketball is that the ball never touches the floor as a fast break develops. As play breaks down, more dribbles are needed and loss of possession becomes a factor. The game moves faster and more beautifully with less dribbling. In fact, many big men are told to not put the ball on the floor, but the great ones sure can pass the ball. John Stockton never dribbled anybody. Same
                              in soccer.
                              Dribbling should be the option of last resort in any sport.
                              You should take up bowling that way you can play one touch all you want. It a much better sport for people like you who like to post drunk and alone.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X