• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Visits

This topic came up in another thread.

How important are official visits?

Difference between D1 and D3?

Difference between Men's and Women's?

Anyone willing to share real experiences?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

My male child took official visits to the two D3 schools for which he was thinking about applying ED. The visits gave him additional information about the players, the coaches, and the schools.

Comment

Almost completely irrelevant for women's d1.

By fall of Sr. year commitments have long since been made and there is very little opportunity left to change your mind.

Comment

I think this statement is too narrow - lots of college programs will take a player onto the team even if its not a recruited player. By now the coaches have finalized the list they're submitting to admissions, and have utilized their slots, and maybe can't get another, but sometimes a recruited player doesn't pass admissions or pulls out, opening up a recruited slot. And if there's no recruitment, but a kid applies and gets in, the coach can offer a spot on the team - and the player will consider that before accepting the college admission offer. Basically all the places he/she gets in, go around and talk to the coach, and accept the offer where there's a solid opportunity to play.

Comment

I assume you are referring to visiting the college and meeting with the coach. Both components are extremely important. Would you ever buy a car or house without seeing it test driving the former?
          My son got calls and offers from two division 1 schools, 1 division 2 school, and 10 division 3 schools. One division 1 coach was all business and the other was extremely good and conscientious about the success of the kids as players and citizens. The program was good. My son did an overnight as well. In the end, he didn't love it. We visited a total of 10 schools. Each had pluses and minuses (obviously), however, the school he is hoping to attend, on balance, was the best fit for him. In fact, he was considering not visiting as he already had a number of great offers. After visiting the school and coach, it jumped to the top of the list.

Comment

I assume you are referring to visiting the college and meeting with the coach. Both components are extremely important. Would you ever buy a car or house without seeing it test driving the former?
            My son got calls and offers from two division 1 schools, 1 division 2 school, and 10 division 3 schools. One division 1 coach was all business and the other was extremely good and conscientious about the success of the kids as players and citizens. The program was good. My son did an overnight as well. In the end, he didn't love it. We visited a total of 10 schools. Each had pluses and minuses (obviously), however, the school he is hoping to attend, on balance, was the best fit for him. In fact, he was considering not visiting as he already had a number of great offers. After visiting the school and coach, it jumped to the top of the list.
            You would know if there were an official visit. D1 official visits will include reimbursement for travel expenses. D3 you get free meals.

Comment

What you are describing can occur during either an official or unofficial visit - meeting with coaches and/or players.

The things that distinguishes an official visit from an unofficial visit are the timing (cannot occur before fall of Sr. year) and the person paying (the school cannot pay any expenses during an unofficial visit and usually pays most of the expenses including lodge and sometimes travel during and official visit).

Comment

If you don't visit the school and talk to the coaches how can you make a decision whether you like the school or not?

Comment

I think this statement is too narrow - lots of college programs will take a player onto the team even if its not a recruited player. By now the coaches have finalized the list they're submitting to admissions, and have utilized their slots, and maybe can't get another, but sometimes a recruited player doesn't pass admissions or pulls out, opening up a recruited slot. And if there's no recruitment, but a kid applies and gets in, the coach can offer a spot on the team - and the player will consider that before accepting the college admission offer. Basically all the places he/she gets in, go around and talk to the coach, and accept the offer where there's a solid opportunity to play.
                  What are you trying to do stoke up that whole Buyer/Seller thing from the other thread? Do you want Perspective to just shut this thread down or is it just an excuse to light him up so he makes a fool out of himself as he usually does?

Comment

If you don't visit the school and talk to the coaches how can you make a decision whether you like the school or not?
                    OP here.

I was asking about official visits (not just visiting the school.) I did so because I felt the information being given on the other thread was not that accurate and that the topic of official visits merits its own thread.

Comment

Almost completely irrelevant for women's d1.

By fall of Sr. year commitments have long since been made and there is very little opportunity left to change your mind.
                      False, with respect to D1 Ivies. Based on personal experience.

Comment

False, with respect to D1 Ivies. Based on personal experience.
                        2015 Commit counts by school for Ivys
                        Brown - 4
                        Cornell -1
                        Columbia - 3
                        Dartmouth - 5
                        Harvard - 5
                        Princeton - 1
                        UPenn - 2
                        Yale - 6

While not completely finished, they aren't doing much recruiting at this point. Consider this. Most of the players they would be fighting for are already committed elsewhere. Not that the topdrawer list is the end-all-be-all, but there are exactly 0 of their top 100 and 5 of the top 150 who are not listed as committed.

Comment

What are you trying to do stoke up that whole Buyer/Seller thing from the other thread? Do you want Perspective to just shut this thread down or is it just an excuse to light him up so he makes a fool out of himself as he usually does?
                          Didn't even see a hint of a buyer/seller paradigm in that post, but I guess you see what you want to see. And other than just alleging something over and over, can you give even a single example of P making a fool of himself? Seems he's just very good at making a fool of you.

Comment

2015 Commit counts by school for Ivys
                            Brown - 4
                            Cornell -1
                            Columbia - 3
                            Dartmouth - 5
                            Harvard - 5
                            Princeton - 1
                            UPenn - 2
                            Yale - 6

While not completely finished, they aren't doing much recruiting at this point. Consider this. Most of the players they would be fighting for are already committed elsewhere. Not that the topdrawer list is the end-all-be-all, but there are exactly 0 of their top 100 and 5 of the top 150 who are not listed as committed.
                            How many of those actually have "likely letters"?

More importantly, those numbers are only a fraction of the actual recruited class at each of the schools.

Comment

Probably no one has a likely letter from an Ivy yet - they won't get that until admissions sees and passes judgement on the application, official transcripts and rec letters. No likely letters until the application is submitted...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X