Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U7 Travel Team

My 6 yo DS plays on a developmental travel league and recently we noticed that he was being placed in goal and subbed more than his fair share. We addressed it with the Asst Coach and Coach who told us that our DS is in the bottom third of the players, to be prepared to have him subbed a lot especially next year assuming he even makes the A team next year.

While I could fundamentally argue that my DS is not in the bottom third of the team the real issue to me is that they are playing in games where score are not kept. The boys are 6 and 7 years old so shouldn't they have approx equal playing time?

On top of that we are 6 months away from tryouts yet the Coach already seems to have made a decision on my son even though he is not present at the training sessions and has directly coached my son at only a couple of games. Furthermore, the trainer has had lots of positive things to say about my DS which is why these Coach's comments were a real surprise to us.

DS notices he is subbed more and is becoming demoralized and I am left with a bad taste in my mouth. What attracted us to this Club is that fact that they bill themselves as an alternative to the Academy system which an emphasis placed on development.

Now we have until the end of June to go with this team and really don't know what to do list. Anyone BTDT or can give us some advice? TIA.

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1384606]My 6 yo DS plays on a developmental travel league and recently we noticed that he was being placed in goal and subbed more than his fair share. We addressed it with the Asst Coach and Coach who told us that our DS is in the bottom third of the players, to be prepared to have him subbed a lot especially next year assuming he even makes the A team next year.

While I could fundamentally argue that my DS is not in the bottom third of the team the real issue to me is that they are playing in games where score are not kept. The boys are 6 and 7 years old so shouldn't they have approx equal playing time?

On top of that we are 6 months away from tryouts yet the Coach already seems to have made a decision on my son even though he is not present at the training sessions and has directly coached my son at only a couple of games. Furthermore, the trainer has had lots of positive things to say about my DS which is why these Coach's comments were a real surprise to us.

DS notices he is subbed more and is becoming demoralized and I am left with a bad taste in my mouth. What attracted us to this Club is that fact that they bill themselves as an alternative to the Academy system which an emphasis placed on development.

Now we have until the end of June to go with this team and really don't know what to do list. Anyone BTDT or can give us some advice? TIA.[/QUOTE

Is he having fun? Do you really need club at 6? Is your son upset, or are you upset?

I would investigate other options because the coach sounds like an ass.

Comment

I was recently told as long as you're choosing to write the check, there's absolutely nothing to judge here, so I'm moving along. Good luck though!

Comment

My son is not aware of the conversation but has noticed that he spends more time in goal and is subbed more than other players. He also has commented that the asst coach cheers for and provides coaching to his own son a lot, more so than the other players, a common complaint amongst the parents.

The boys are playing in a development league where the twelve boys are divided in half to play 5v5 games. No scores are kept, there are no refs and the rules are a little loose. Of the 5 games so far my son has been coached by the asst coach 4 times and the coach once.

I don't have a problem if my son is considered to be in the bottom third though I would disagree but I have a problem that the coach hasn't seen my son play that much, that he doesn't allow for the fact that he may further develop and, in fact, seems to handicap his development by limiting playing time.

I know this May just be a bump in the road but it has left me feeling quite sour about it.

Comment

Why do some of you fall for these threads every time?

Where is this U7 developmental travel league? Is it a town program? Oh no, can't be town, because the post clearly says a "Club" that advertises as an alternative to Academy. So what clubs have teams that participate in a U7 travel club league?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            My 6 yo DS plays on a developmental travel league and recently we noticed that he was being placed in goal and subbed more than his fair share. We addressed it with the Asst Coach and Coach who told us that our DS is in the bottom third of the players, to be prepared to have him subbed a lot especially next year assuming he even makes the A team next year.

Now we have until the end of June to go with this team and really don't know what to do list. Anyone BTDT or can give us some advice? TIA.

I am happy to say that we never considered club sports at such a young age. I am amazed, impressed, or entertained that there is a trainer involved too. Personally, if the coach does not like your kid then leave. He is 6!!!!!! You will get just as much training in the backyard making him chase the dog with a ball at your sons feet.

Comment

Run away from any club that starts placing players in set positions under age 11-ish.

Comment

anything that even smells of being competitive at that age is something i would avoid..if he isnt playing all the positions and focusing on the fundamentals run away fast and find something that is fun...if a coach is already thinking of a pecking order and how it affects playing time at that age, thats pretty bad

Comment

Is this for real??? Are their travel teams in Massachusetts at U7???

Comment

Fiction.

Comment

Not fiction but not Mass. We live in NJ but didn't want to post in Nj forum.

Comment

Give the coaches a copy of Best Practices for Coaching Soccer. Then get your son on a team where the coaches actually know how to develop youth players. These idiots haven't a clue.

http://www.ussoccer.com/coaching-education/resources

Comment

Sorry, btdt and perspective are taking some well earned time off. Let's discount this one off the bat and save some posts.
                          Unless, of course, you buy this...

Comment

Valeo has a U7 team playing in U9 Maple. And so far we are undefeated!

Comment

Not fiction but not Mass. We live in NJ but didn't want to post in Nj forum.
                              LOL. Maybe some other Jersey folks read the MA threads like you do, so your plan for a safe haven may be thwarted (and thinking about Mass TS as a safe haven makes me laugh too).

And then you also knew enough (dumb enough) to mention BTDT in your OP. Has there been some BTDT material that your 6 year old already has been putting to good use?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X