X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What MLS’ salaries for its 2014 Homegrowns tell us about incentive

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...out-incentive/

"In terms of raw data, MLS has doled out $964,532 in salary to Homegrowns this calendar year. Individually, that works out to $45,930 per player, which is what an average Homegrown signing can expect to see per year if he opts for MLS. "

I know its not a million dollars but $46K coming out of college isn't bad either. I know lots of recent grads that aren't even making that much.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

"In terms of raw data, MLS has doled out $964,532 in salary to Homegrowns this calendar year. Individually, that works out to $45,930 per player, which is what an average Homegrown signing can expect to see per year if he opts for MLS. "

I know its not a million dollars but $46K coming out of college isn't bad either. I know lots of recent grads that aren't even making that much.
    You have to look at as a stipend that should allow you to survive while living out your dream to play a sport you love and get paid. Ask any person over 40 and they would sacrifice a few years of their profession to play a sport professionally

Comment

You have to look at as a stipend that should allow you to survive while living out your dream to play a sport you love and get paid. Ask any person over 40 and they would sacrifice a few years of their profession to play a sport professionally
      So what happens after you sacrificed a few years and are playing sport professionally? You Have $5k more? 10? Or you jump from 46 to 146 just like that? Aren't you already playing professionally once you in MLS? How much does basketball rookie get at the first year?.....

Comment

So what happens after you sacrificed a few years and are playing sport professionally? You Have $5k more? 10? Or you jump from 46 to 146 just like that? Aren't you already playing professionally once you in MLS? How much does basketball rookie get at the first year?.....
        Why does everyone assume that all of these players just stop in the world of sports and become mid level employees in some boring multinational? Honestly the world of sports is huge now and there are now infinite paths that lead out of professional sports into pretty nice paying and interesting jobs. Some of you need to come to grips with the fact that not everyone has a burning desire to be a proctologist or some other like profession.

Comment

Why does everyone assume that all of these players just stop in the world of sports and become mid level employees in some boring multinational? Honestly the world of sports is huge now and there are now infinite paths that lead out of professional sports into pretty nice paying and interesting jobs. Some of you need to come to grips with the fact that not everyone has a burning desire to be a proctologist or some other like profession.
          To your point, I knew a guy that went and played pro basketball in Israel. Then played pro ball in Germany. After 5 years of ball, he became a marketing exec for Adidas. He was very happy with the life choices he made.

Comment

With the new CBA deal that number should only increase. Some homegrowns like Scott Caldwell and Fagundez make close or over 6 figures while still attending school/business ventures. Let's not forget that their "work day" is over by noon Monday-Friday with a game on the weekends.

I have a problem with the idea of being a "homegrown". If you really support your local club, okay. But it doesn't make sense to be forced to play for the local pro club. Example: if you play for the Revs Academy (14,16,18), you are automatically a homegrown player for the Revolution if you make it pro.

Comment

Not a bad start if you have a well thought out plan - moving up the ladder competitively, get into coaching, go to college....too many athletes, even those making great money, don't have a plan for when they have to retire.

Comment

No, some of us wouldn't--which is why we didn't explore playing basketball in some smaller European country, for example, even though we could have played there for a "stipend." Please stop projecting your fantasies and priorities onto other people.

Comment

I seem to recall seeing the average pay for all professional athletes in the US. Surprisingly it was somewhere in the high $30K. When you consider what the top sports pay the top athletes, there sure are a whole lot of professionals making next to nothing for it to average out to that amount. So these homegrowns are doing all right.

Comment

Gold

With the new CBA deal that number should only increase. Some homegrowns like Scott Caldwell and Fagundez make close or over 6 figures while still attending school/business ventures. Let's not forget that their "work day" is over by noon Monday-Friday with a game on the weekends.

I have a problem with the idea of being a "homegrown". If you really support your local club, okay. But it doesn't make sense to be forced to play for the local pro club. Example: if you play for the Revs Academy (14,16,18), you are automatically a homegrown player for the Revolution if you make it pro.
                    Sounds worse then the reserve clause. As soon as a "homegrown" player turns superstar ( rather if that happens) look for this arrangement to be challenged in court

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X