Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck on a Bad Team - Player Encouragement

My son was selected for a club's U14 "E" team last June. I wont give the name so as not to cause any drama. I am just looking for advice.
    We all knew that he was better than that but he really wanted to join the club and parents told me that once he was in the club coaches would see him and he'd move up.
    He was invited in July to play with the "D" team, showed well and was invited up. So we thought okay so the other parents were right.
    After the fall season he lead the team in points (goals and assists) so we thought it was only a matter of time before he would move up again. He was struggling with "D" team because the other players were so far behind him in technical skills as well as game sense.
    The other players struggled with simply 1-2 passes and would more times than not, miss him with 5-8 yard passes when he would be in great positions.
    It even got so bad that the other players would bunch up near him and take balls and clear shots on goal away from him.
    During the winter the "C" lost two players. He wasn't even looked at because the coach of that team said he was "too short". Even though he would be one of the most technically skilled players on the team.
    So now the spring season is upon us. All the same problems exist. They cant find him with accurate passes, he makes run after run never to see a pass to him, the other players crowd him and steal opportunities from him.
    He is so discouraged that he chose to stay on the bench when the coach asked him to go in. HE HAS NEVER NOT WANTED TO PLAY until now. We have told him the whole stick with it, keep your chin up, all of that. His coaches are aware of the problem but can do nothing.
    He likes the club and doesnt want to quit but I feel his development is suffering and he doesnt enjoy playing.
    Anyone ever suffered through something like this?
    Thanks
    "Desperate in Leesburg"

You ALWAYS have options

Sorry to hear about your son's frustrating circumstance. You are not alone. The scenario you describe plays out daily throughout most every club in the the U.S.

Soccer is a game and should be fun. That doesn't mean there won't be struggles which are often important in shaping a young man. Just keep in mind that overall he should be enjoying himself while developing his abilities.

If that is not happening, you need to do your best to find him a better fit. This needs to be done quickly. You only have a few years left to help him. Wasting another year is foolish.

The club put him on the team he is on now. If he isn't having fun, he doesn't "like the club."

Switching clubs isn't quitting. It takes a lot of courage and strength despite what the people left behind say. The weak and easy way is often staying where you are. You sound like you already regret this past year, don't prolong the agony.

There are many clubs here in Northern Virginia. Be confident and take a leap beyond what you currently know. It may be difficult and painful at first, but you just may be surprised how much better it is somewhere else.

My son left his old club and it was the best soccer choice we ever made. It was tough at first to take that initial step but now we look back and wonder why we were not smart enough to leave sooner. Live and learn.

Comment

Sounds pretty typical of Loudoun... stuck on big & fast.

Comment

Try Leesburg Football Club; at least 2 quality teams in your son's age bracket...and high school is just around the corner

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X