Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southside on the slide.

I am hearing that the Chinook Cup is an absolute farce this year after the old tournament director has left. Anbody else heard anything about this? This was a great tournament in past years.

It would also seem that the HS program at the club on the girls side is hurting. Ireland U'15 leaving due to lack of coaching options, U'16 and U'17 teams losing all their top players to other clubs. Two of the three teams made the State Cup Finals this year, with Ireland winning State. Why does the club not keeep older age teams? Is it down to lack of coaches alone?

This tournament has left better organization to be desired. However, based on the teams that are playing it was good competition.

I feel that this is a combo of poor club (SSC) handling the transition and a little bit of dirty play by the other (Mt Hood) director. If you are semi-intelligent as a coach/team manager, you would have made the-team aware that the games are going to be changed and be prepared.

That being said it does get tuff with more than one child playing and trying to plan for rides.

Overall tournament has good competition and isn't that usually the most important quality of any tournament?

Comment

The only reason the competition was good this year was because everyone anticipated that it would be run the same as previous years. This was obviuosly not the case. I would be very surprised if any teams return next year. Everything was ran so poorly, plus only a three game guaruntee! Don't all large tournaments, especially with so many teams, give at least 4 games? Next year, Mt. Hood Challenge will be huge. I know many teams will be going there!

Comment

I think most tournaments gaurantee only 3 games. Seems that way in the tourney's we played in. My nephew played in the Chinook Cup (I do believe it was the SSC tourney, not the other) and they played 3 games on Friday alone, plus more games Saturday and Sunday. They finished 2nd. I've not actually talked with them though to see how things really went.

Comment

The only reason the competition was good this year was because everyone anticipated that it would be run the same as previous years. This was obviuosly not the case. I would be very surprised if any teams return next year. Everything was ran so poorly, plus only a three game guaruntee! Don't all large tournaments, especially with so many teams, give at least 4 games? Next year, Mt. Hood Challenge will be huge. I know many teams will be going there!

Most tournaments only guarantee 3 games. We have gone to CA and Las Vegas and only played 3 games. I agree that it should be 4 games for all the money you pay for games travel and Hotels etc... Most of you that live in the Portland area at less you don't travel as far and don't need a hotel.

Comment

The fact that there were only three games was really minor in comparison to how things were ran. I agree that every team should play 4 games. There are so many teams registered in each age group that it would be beneficial for every team to play more than just 3 teams.

But the tournament was not organized, numerous schedule changes (three in one day), not posting information in a timely matter. Many teams missed games or showed up too late to play. Even for playoff games. Also, several occassions when three teams would show up because all three were scheduled to play! Uggghhhh............

Comment

It sounds to me like the club is in a bad way at the moment. As an earlier post says they have lost a lot of HS girls at U15-U17?! Now they have had a very poor Chinook Cup, i have heard from several different sources on other teams that participated.

It just goes to show that when you lose good people and don't replace them then things can very quickly go wrong.

Comment

Is there going to be refunds for the teams that didn't get their promised 4 games at the Chinook Cup?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  Don't all large tournaments, especially with so many teams, give at least 4 games? Next year, Mt. Hood Challenge will be huge. I know many teams will be going there!

Sodium went to a 3-game national tournament- and I see they are a tremendous team with great talent and won 2-state titles and been to 2-regionals and 1-national title game, they are happy with 3-game tournaments.

What team is this going to make sure they avoid Chinook? Does this team going make the difference of being a qualtiy team? Quality enough to make Mt Hood HUGE!

Comment

Many will not come back to Chinook because of the poor organization, not because of the competition or the 3 game guaruntee. They will avoid it due to the obvious reasons. If you played in it this year, you know what I am talking about.

Looking forward to Mt. Hood Challenge!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X