Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susc

It seems that the ian Scott revolution is gathering momentum at the seacoast club in a negative way. Players leaving and might loose academy status. Interesting months ahead for the club and their academy teams.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It seems that the ian Scott revolution is gathering momentum at the seacoast club in a negative way. Players leaving and might loose academy status. Interesting months ahead for the club and their academy teams.
    No great loss. 2nd tier program.

Comment

It is not an IS revolution, but rather parents spending their money in better training venues. IS never understood the amereican model.

Comment

Seacoast will not lose their Academy status

Comment

Seacoast will not lose their Academy status
          Sorry I am not familiar with academy status. can someone fill me in? feel free to blast away but I am hoping that at least one person can answer seriously

Comment

I think parents are sick of being told (or strongly suggested) what they should or should not do outside of Seacoast. Lots see them as a business doing soccer versus a soccer business. Whatever they can do to get more money is what they are going to do. Or however they can prevent people from spending money outside of Seacoast by adding more programming is the way now.

Comment

Sorry I am not familiar with academy status. can someone fill me in? feel free to blast away but I am hoping that at least one person can answer seriously
              Some would say...With 5 Academy progams in New England and bsed on Seacoasts less than stellar Academy results, that they will get dropped from the Academy system.

I have heard this for the last year or two, maybe it will happen, maybe not.

Comment

Some would say...With 5 Academy progams in New England and bsed on Seacoasts less than stellar Academy results, that they will get dropped from the Academy system.

I have heard this for the last year or two, maybe it will happen, maybe not.
                Admittedly, I am taking this posters view (as well as other people who have posted) as accurate in regards to the Academy program at SUSC... I have not scoured the results / standings of their Academy teams. Having said that, if true, that the teams are not up to the standards of other teams within the league, why would you seek them out as an option? Just asking. In other words, if my kid had a choice to be on a competitive team (good coach, high level NEP, etc) why would he choose to try out for a team where we will travel more AND get creamed by other teams within the league? My kids are young... but I'm asking in all honesty...

The problem that I see with SUSC in terms of this is that if they aren't capable of at least being competitive within the DAP program... why push it? Why not keep a higher level team within NEP and be somewhat competitive as opposed to getting blown out in another league? Not necessarily singling out SUSC, but I'm from NH so just looking for more info and trying to figure out what I am missing here?

Comment

Admittedly, I am taking this posters view (as well as other people who have posted) as accurate in regards to the Academy program at SUSC... I have not scoured the results / standings of their Academy teams. Having said that, if true, that the teams are not up to the standards of other teams within the league, why would you seek them out as an option? Just asking. In other words, if my kid had a choice to be on a competitive team (good coach, high level NEP, etc) why would he choose to try out for a team where we will travel more AND get creamed by other teams within the league? My kids are young... but I'm asking in all honesty...

Not sure this will answer you, but if you look at the colleges/univeristies in the area and if your son is very serious in playing soccer at that level, almost all freshman have at least one year of Academy experience. It does help. Not saying anything bad against any other ODP, clubs, other leagues, etc. Academy on the resume gets the coaches attention. Plus there are not a lot of Freshman on these squads, even Div III colleges.

Second and only my opinion Academy provides the best level of competition, whether you win all the time or loose. I want my son playing at the highest level possible to give him that edge in trying out for a college/university team. Since I live closer to Epping than Boston or near Guilette, I would seek Seacoast Academy.

The problem that I see with SUSC in terms of this is that if they aren't capable of at least being competitive within the DAP program... why push it? Why not keep a higher level team within NEP and be somewhat competitive as opposed to getting blown out in another league? Not necessarily singling out SUSC, but I'm from NH so just looking for more info and trying to figure out what I am missing here?
                  You answered the question in your question. There are a lot of other options out there that play at a high level and closer for travel. So if you are a college coach, looking at the Freshman, you have a player who played pre-academy and four years academy at Seacoast vs a player from NHPSA who played in NEP (sorry MPS not really picking on you) with what appears to be equal quality who would you lean to? Most likely the academy player because of the exposure of that league.

Comment

Not sure this will answer you, but if you look at the colleges/univeristies in the area and if your son is very serious in playing soccer at that level, almost all freshman have at least one year of Academy experience. It does help. Not saying anything bad against any other ODP, clubs, other leagues, etc. Academy on the resume gets the coaches attention. Plus there are not a lot of Freshman on these squads, even Div III colleges.

Comment

SUSC problem might lie in their player selection process. Hopefully they are picking the best talent for DAP but politics could be playing a role. I do not know how from one open tryout Seacoast can determine the best players for DAP. They should adopt a program similiar to the Revs to have training centers throughout the winter/spring to see these kids multiple times. You could have a great player who is nervous when trying out and never get a good look because of this. Several training centers could help break the ice. THis works vice versa, you could have an OK player have a break out tryout and make the team only to realize later that he isn't as strong as you thought.

Why continue? Simple, DAP is the top of the food chain for boys soccer, why would you give that up?

Comment

You are assuming of course that they can recognize talent when it presents itself.

Comment

The concept of the DAP is very good. It is supposed to provide an environment where the very best players in the area practice and play together. Practicing with and playing against the best players provides the best development opportunity. Obviously this assumes great coaching for the DAP teams. Whether that exists at Seacoast is another discussion.

The problem with the Seacoast DAP is the execution and cost. NH is a very small state. There are many talented players, but no where near the numbers in other states. Seacoast would need to have ALL of the best players in the area playing for them in order to be competitive. The Seacoast DAP teams lack depth. Over the last few years they have lost several players to the Revs DAP. In addition, other top players have not even tried out for the DAP or have left the DAP. The biggest factor is the cost. $4 to $5k per year is just too expensive. It is not worth the money.

One of the biggest myths about DAP is that parents are convinced that their kid is going to get a scholarship to go to college. Very few players get significant $$$, and very few Seacoast players go on to play Division 1 soccer. Parents and players need to go into this with their eyes wide open and with realistic expectations.

If Seacoast has any hopes of becoming competitive and maintaining their DAP status, they need to find a way to take the cost factor out of the equation. They will never attract all of the best players until they do this. To be honest, I do not see them having the desire to do that. They seem to have lost their focus on player development. It's all about the $$$ with them. It's too bad. They have a great facility. I hope the OP is wrong. I would be disappointed to see NH lose the DAP team.

Comment

Why continue? Simple, DAP is the top of the food chain for boys soccer, why would you give that up?
                            I just clipped this one piece of the above posters comment since it is the only piece that I am interested in commenting on.

Agreed that DAP is the top of the food chain for boys soccer from what I understand (younger kids). Specifically related to SUSC though ... if they can't get to a point where they have at least somewhat competitive teams, why would you go that route? I understand the point about College dreams, etc. but let's be realistic here. Are you going to (or is it smart to) go through a DAP program on the hopes of looks from college recruiters when to do so means you spend hours and hours of time, money, energy on a team which rarely wins. No, winning isn't everything but please... It is never a fun experience to be on a team which consistently loses week after week after week (just ask my 11 year old). Never mind the fact that when that happens, the better players will leave (Rev's, etc). So, now, you have little hope of improving the team as the better players leave. Again, I hope it works out and it very well may... Maybe if they can hire the right people or get the right kids, etc. it can turn things around. Time will tell, I suppose.

Comment

Most all players going to Revs from NH came from Classics and either went directly or stopped over at Seacoast for a season. What does that say about Seacoast player development? Just a thought. :)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X